laptop as Tv

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 14:58
ThreadID: 23685 Views:1993 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
REf flapper laptops and PDA's

Do you use a card to get Tv on the laptop Is it analogue or digital and what sort of aerial do you have I am looking at using ours as a Tv .

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:08

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:08
I use an analogue TV card. Its an external unit , that plugs in via USB.

I honestly dont believe digital would be of great benefit (for me anyway) , as its used when camping , so reception is sometimes ordinary.

With digital I believe , its all or nothing with reception.

I use a Caravan Aerial , the White PVC Pipe , with a balast ??? connected. Cost me $100 from DSE. You can get them cheaper elsewhere.

The BIGGEST difference I have found is what Software you use.

The software I got with the TV Card was pretty ordinary. I thought I was wasting my time.

I then got hold of Show Shifter , and the difference is outstanding.

Prior to this , all I could use was a small approx 3inch by 3 inch Window. You couldn't watch anything bigge.

Now , Full screen.

I did it this way because I carry my Laptop anyway . . . A dedicated TV probably works better.

(PS , better lappy specs, better TV card , better Aerial, better software , may fix all that. I went the budget option on purpose.)
AnswerID: 114902

Reply By: Bev - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:19

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 15:19
thanks for that I shall investigate further It could mean less gear to carry !
AnswerID: 114906

Reply By: Melly - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 16:11

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 16:11
Hi Bev

I use an AVERMedia TV Cardbus Plus ($105) which is a PCMCIA card that slots into the side of your laptop and is relatively small and doesn't require you to carry anything extra around such as external USB box, although, it does come with a remote and you do need an antenna, so i guess you have to carry that around.

I find the software that came with this card pretty easy to use and reception is excellent, although, I am yet to try it in areas that may have a weak signal.

This card also comes with an FM Radio so you can listen to radio on your laptop, or record radio. You can get a cheaper model without the radio and remote for about $80. These cards are easily found at online stores or ebay.

Hope that helps.

AnswerID: 114914

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 23:58

Wednesday, Jun 08, 2005 at 23:58
I have an analogue USB2 TV Tuner and a VHF/UHF happy wanderer antenna which I bought at Dick Smiths.

I would have preferred a digital tuner but a lot of country areas do not have digital TV.

Mine is a "Dlink" brand and there are many good ones on the market. The advantage of a USB2 tuner is that you can use it on your home PC as well as your laptop.

The quality of reception depends on the strength of the TV signal and your antenna. I am sorry that I didn't get a better quality antenna.

You will need 240v for the tuner and if you have a booster for the antenna. I have an inverter and I suggest that this is a handy piece of equipment whether you are getting a tuner or not.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 114987

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)