Fitting Power Steer to Hilux???

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:59
ThreadID: 23712 Views:9212 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Can anyone help me? I want to put power steering on my 1989 2.8l hilux 4x4. Can it be done? Can I do it myself? Where can I get the parts? What parts do I ask for/buy? etc etc

Any help from anybody would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 22:13
yes it can be done and its not hard or cheap. But you dont say if its solid or IFS? probably solid as I think all IFS came out with PS. The LN106 came with PS standard in around 1990. I fitted PS to my LN65. Best bet is to see a vehicle importer or wrecker and get them to put all the bits together for it. You need pump, steering box, crossover pipes, hoses, reservoir etc then it can be installed in about 4 or 5 hours with out too much drama. I was quoted up to around $1350 for the kit 2nd hand but got one in the end for $1000. Just ring every toyota and 4wd wrecker and parts importer you can find in the book and internet, someone will have one
AnswerID: 115138

Reply By: waynet - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 22:44

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 22:44
Hi melyanty,
You can fit the power steering system off any of the 2.8l (3L) 4wds. You will need the steering box, pump, hoses, pipes, crankshaft pulley and spacer, left side engine mount to mount the pump. The bottom radiator hose will need changing because it will have to come from the right hand side to miss the pump pulley.
Hope this helps you out.
Cheers Waynet.
AnswerID: 115143

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:14

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:14
Hi Melyanty.I have 89 lux sr5 and has power steer standard. you won't have any probs fittin it as long as you do what the other guys have said. Finding one might be a problem but as they said ring everybody you can find in the phone book and net and as waynet said about the placement of the lower radiater pipe.Even look in the tarding post for wrecks etc. Not sure where your at but you can email me at millers1@fortdodge.com.au and send me your email address and I can take some digital pics of mine eg placement of pipes etc and email them to you. Makes a bit easier if you have somthing to look at and go by. Have fun
AnswerID: 115675

Sponsored Links