advice needed

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:06
ThreadID: 23724 Views:2467 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a few questions I am not sure of the answer to, so why not try here:

1. Does anyone know if anyone sells casserole dishes that will fit into a camp oven (12 quart oval type) this is so meal can be cooked inside dish, that is inside the oven.

2. When running 50L Waeco as fridge/freezer, how many lights should I have on?

3. Can a damper mix be made then divided so that it can be used over several days? If so, should it be frozen or can it just relax in the fridge?

Cheers and thankyou

Glenn
For links: 4wdadventureoz

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:45

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:45
cheap casserole dishes can be picked up at copperart or other cheap housewares shops- just make sure they say oven safe or you'll have a cracked dish half way thru backing. Get them on a trivet too so they arent exposed to the super hot metal on the base of the oven.
For something more durable, just get metal cake tins with rolled edges, or deep pie dishes- not as prone to smashing in your camp box. chuck a cheap scourer in the box as well and you're sorted.

On mains power (with the waeco generally closed up and left alone) beers get iced up on 3 lights- on the road I up that to 4 or 5 depending on how often it gets opened, and what the ambient temp is. Go out and grab yourself one of the dual temp thermometers from altronics or jaycar- they seem to keep everyone else here happy. Mount it on the dash and at a glance you can see the internal temps

As with any dough, if you keep it in the fridge for too long it will go off. Safest way to go is to freeze if it will be more than a day or 2 that you are holding onto it for.

AnswerID: 115106

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:52

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:52
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the tips on the casserole dishes, I will have a look.

I always run my Waeco on 3 or 4 lights to keep the beer cold, and have a thermometer also, I am just not sure how many lights I can have on to freeze food, but not the beer...hahahahaha

Yes, I thought freezing would be better.

Cheers and thanks
FollowupID: 370860

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:51

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:51
gday mate
the yeast dough will keep a day refrigerated to retard the yeast a little but may leave a messif left too long we often use to leave bread and pizza dough a day for later use.
but it does set the gluten content of the flour so the dough tends to be heavier .
as for bi-carb style damper its pretty much a tempory emulsion type of bread expansion so the timing is fairl important same as the other but can cook like a rock if left too long.
but have made rock cakes and fruit cobbler this way using left over damper when in the field years ago!!!!!!.

hope it helps
i freeze on 4-5 light butthe meat and other stuff usually is already frozen so it just maintains it i guess.
cheers
say hi to james
FollowupID: 370938

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:19

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:19
Howdy Toony,

Thanks for the tips mate, I think we may try the bread mix this trip and see how it goes. I will also test the fridge on 4/5 lights on the weekend to see how that stacks up.

I will say gooday to James for you, and please give my love to the Big C and the boys.

Cheers and I may see you this weekend as I will be visiting x-member for a couple of days.

Glenn
FollowupID: 370978

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:47

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:47
3. I can answer. Although the recipes for damper I know of use plain flour (and flat beer) the inclusion of bi-carb of soda to cause the damper to rise may be compromised.

A better solution would be to "half" the ingredient measurements, thereby only mixing a sufficient qualtity for a one time cooking to suit the quantity of people you are cooking for. Damper doesn't require "rising time" like a yeast bread does.

By the way, the packets of bread mix work wonderfully well in a camp oven.
Although needing time to rise after mixing, the results you get will just about kill off further efforts with making Damper.
Just mix ingredients together with a "one tin" quantity of water, knead for a while until you get sick of it, (or you get thirsty because you can't pick up your beer with doughy hands) and place in a rectangular cake/bread tin that will fit into the Camp Oven. Sit in a warm place until risen (inside of the car, or on top of a warm engine is good).

Whack in a hot Camp Oven and cook untill a skewer or fork comes out dry.
By the time you have rid yourself of the dough on your hands, the bread will be ready to eat.

Fresh, crusty bread. YUM!!!

P.S. I usually eat wholemeal bread but find the standard white variety mix works best in the Camp Oven.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115107

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:54

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 18:54
Hi Sandman,

Thanks for the tip, even thought I love the making of damper the traditional way, the idea of using bread mix and a bread tin sound like a good idea. I will definately try that next time I am away.

Thanks again.

Cheers
FollowupID: 370861

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:49

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 20:49
How's it going Glenn ,

Have cooked a fair few "one pot meals" in our camp oven.

If you keep the temp down there is no need to have a separate caserole dish inside .

Washing up is every man's enemy , why make more than you need to ?

Glenn.
AnswerID: 115119

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:00

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:00
Howdy Glenn,

Unfortunately, every time I have cooked a casserole in a camp oven, I have had a hell of a time cleaning the bloody thing. At least with another dish inside, I can throw it if need be...the camp oven is more important than a cheap and nasty dish.

But I do agree with you, "Washing up is every man's enemy", and I only do it when camping...hahahahhaa

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 370874

Follow Up By: Diamond (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:06

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:06
gday glenn
if you look back about 1 month ago there is some great tips on how to clean a camp oven lol
all you need is a handy river
cheers
FollowupID: 370877

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:15

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:15
Thanks x-member, can you tell me the post number please?

FollowupID: 370882

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:52

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:52
After removing the contents, attention with a washing up scrubbing brush, plus you need to oil it after cleaning: maybe some spray oil .

Hope this helps out .

Glenn.
FollowupID: 370890

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 23:59

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 23:59
after cooking heaps of cassorroles last year I am struggling to figure what your problem is with cleaning - hot water and scrubbing brush and maybe even a bit of steelo - cassorlole dish ??? maybe a dishwasher and blow dryer next
FollowupID: 370905

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:57

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:57
Hi Davoe,

in my Viv Moon's "Outdoor Cookbook" is this piece of advice in the camp fire cooking items: - Oven proof Casserole Dish - can be used inside your camp oven for cooking casseroles, potatoes, apple sponges etc - helps to keep the camp oven nicely clean for baking.

sounds like a reasonable idea to me, and as I"ll be helping Glenn with the washing up I know what I'd rather lift... :)

Lyn
FollowupID: 370923

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:54

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:54
Sorry I am sarcastic by nature. I am a bit of a minamalist and generally keep my cooking gear down to 1 aluminimum frypan(cook on and eat out off), 1 knife 1 fork and a box of matches. Cooking doesnt much excite me but each to their own as for alot it is a majour part of their outdoor experience. Ther reason for the cassoroles last year was I would have to go out bush for work and fit in with normal people
FollowupID: 370966

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:05

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:05
Hi Davoe, that's cool,

we'll be cooking for 7, not quite so minimalist :) we can but try the dish and see how it goes..

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 370968

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:08

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:08
You haven't worked out how to keep your beer cold in your fridge yet?

How many lights?

Can't you read a thermometer?

I'm worried about you.

I strongly suggest a night of drinking at my place to help with your education.

May even induce some other "scholars" to come to help with your enlightenment LOL.

We're here to help,

Jim.
AnswerID: 115124

Follow Up By: Member - John - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:13

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:13
Jombo, I can't read a thermometer either, your shout? What's your address? LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 370880

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:19

Thursday, Jun 09, 2005 at 21:19
Hello Jimbo,

I know how to keep the beer cold, that is a sinch, all I want to know is, as I have a CF50 Waeco, how many lights I should have, therefore temperature, to run it as a fridge/freezer and not freeze the beer.

Mind you, I think a night of drinking at your place may give us a chance to experiment with it eh?

Cheers...see you soon
FollowupID: 370884

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:21

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:21
Hi 4wdadventureoz

1. have a look at DFO moorabbin, huge kitchen shops in there.

2. I usually have about 2 lights on, my big fluro and a little 12v lantern hahaha
mine freezes on 4 lights but is the 40L

3. Let it chill out in the fridge with the beers hahaha

no worries Maaaate
AnswerID: 115231

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:22

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:22
Thanks Adam,

1. If that is near your place, I will have to check it out...and posibbly drop in and say hello, not sure when though...lol

2. I think 4 to 5 seems to be a consensus for fridge/freezer, so I will test that, maybe with the help of Jimbo and yourself and a few beers.

3. I may now go with a bread mix...lazy I know and probably wont taste as good as my damper, but worth a change.

Cheers and give Kir a kiss from me.

FollowupID: 370979

Sponsored Links