Safety Gear

Submitted: Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:28
ThreadID: 23752 Views:2817 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Let me tell you a story ......... the other night, about midnight, I was taking a short cut home through the back roads of Appin ( NSW ). This was a sparcely populated area with a non-lit road winding arround a river bend. Anyway ... I came arround a corner a nearly ran over a fellow biker. He'd obviously been pushing it a bit and lost it on this corner. He was still with us, but in a bad way with a broken right arm and leg, and bits of bark off everywhere. Bouncing off a rock wall at speed can do some damage. After making him comfortable ( first aid cert. )and phoning the services I needed to warn other vehicles of our presence.
Get to the point, I hear you say. The two Eflares, one I purchased from this site, work great! They paid for themselves that night. I placed one some metres up the road and the other one on the roof at rear of my 4wd. They put out such a spread of bright light that one motorist said that he knew something was up, but thought the aliens had landed.
I can highly recommend these as an addition to your kit.
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:32

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:32
Eflares? Never heard of them - tell me more.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 115232

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:53

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:53
Beatit,
Have a look in the "Shop" section under "signals".
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 370964

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:49

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:49
Hi Beatit,

I currently only have the red eFlare 400's available, but am looking at taking on some others very shortly. Many emergancy departments are now using them and I have had very positive feedback about them.

This is just some of the information on them that I have:

· High- luminosity solid state LED’S rated for greater than 100,000 hour operating life
· 360 degree light beam (flashing and steady-on models available)
· Visible at up to 2 kilometres at night
· Shock resistant and able to withstand being run over without damage
· Clear, high performance, ultra tough, impact resistant polycarbonate Fresnel lens
· Light/lens system design subject to worldwide patent
· Primary beam directed horizontally, secondary beam component directed vertically
· Light is 20cm above the ground, to ensure good visibility to approaching vehicles
· Design provides excellent beacon for emergency helicopter landing zones
· Positive action switch means light cannot be switched off my
accident
· Water resistant, dustproof, vibration proof
· Impervious to gases, fuels, chemicals and salts
· Can withstand drops on to hard surfaces from one metre) without damage
· Detachable rubber base increases flexibility of beacon
· No maintenance required, apart from changing batteries
· Can be placed on the road surface or any flat surface, mounted in the top of a cone, clipped to a sign or personal safety wear

Click here to view them in the Adventure Shop.

If you have any questions on them, just ask me and I will do my best to answer them.

Regards,
Juliana
ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 370973

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:12

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:12
OK ordered a couple, ta.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 370977

Reply By: signman - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:36

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:36
That wouldn't have been thru Broughton Pass??? You must be a local too. I always have 2 eflares on board..and for you info. there is a distributor at Narellan.
AnswerID: 115237

Follow Up By: Capt. Wrongway - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:27

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:27
Spot-on signman. I'm from Mount Annan.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 370980

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:53

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 13:53
we have them on our RFS tanker, at the initiative of our Brigade. I have used them many times, including pulling them out regularly on training excercises. A very worthwhile purchase.
AnswerID: 115240

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:39

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:39
Hi Capt Wrongway,

Used to work in Picton before the freeway and had to travel the Razor Back. Always a lot of accidents there in those days but I suppose with the freeway in place no one travels these roads anymore? Haven't been to Picton for 25 years guess it is a ghost town now that all the traffic has been diverted?

Oh, and thanks for alerting me about Eflares.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 115249

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:48

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 14:48
G'day Beatit
Razorback still claims its fair share of acccidents (including unfortunately, fatalities). It not as busy of course since the freeway, but still has a fair bit of traffic as it's still the main road fron say Tahmoor area to Camden /Campbelltown. Picton is far from a ghost town, and further south (Tahmoor) is growing everyday. I live just west of Picton , near the (almost) empty Warragamba Dam.
FollowupID: 370985

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 15:03

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 15:03
G'day Signman,

Interesting, sort of casting my mind back and at the time Tahmoor was up and becoming, Picton, I reckoned could have gone either way, the shop keepers were cocerned. Used to live in Luddenham and the dam itself was only just up the road. Sorry state of affairs the state of the water supply, mate I hope you don't have to recycle your grey to drinking water - heard something like this the other night. At least then when you reckon the water tastes like $hit it may well be true.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 370987

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:03

Friday, Jun 10, 2005 at 21:03
Cap'n

I saw a simmilar light last wk at Kan Tnt City, $89 so the EO shop represents excelent value on it's own. Added to the wish list, gotta get past rego etc this month.

Andy
AnswerID: 115290

Sponsored Links