Rain in Birdsville

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 16:41
ThreadID: 23777 Views:2177 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Lovely, lovely rain last night - only 14 mls but a beautiful sound on the roof - plenty of mud around this morning though. Good news is that Innamincka had about 24 mls, Betoota about 20 mls, Mungerannie 20 mls - and we hear that all over western New South Wales as well. For those go ing into the Simpson Desert in the next few weeks there is the strong possibility of some wild flowers which will be very nice. There has been light rain in the SD for the past three nights and there is more rain predicted for Monday and Tuesday so that will be great to bring out the flowers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:07

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:07
Great news, Ruth.

Just come back from the Isa this arvo, and patchy cloud from Dajarra down.

We're waiting...

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115367

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:18

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:18
Bob, you might get a bit in this next lot. Hope so - even 1/3 filled my new little rainwater tank - I had a drink from there this arvo and it tasted sweet as!
FollowupID: 371074

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:22

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:22
you will have to make a trip out for some purty pics for us ruthy?
AnswerID: 115368

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:17

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:17
Not at work Toonie?
FollowupID: 371073

Reply By: Brian B (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:30

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:30
Great news Ruth.

The desert will take on a whole new look with some flowers coming to life that is for sure.
AnswerID: 115370

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:19

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 18:19
Hey Brian - there your picture on one of my favourite places (used to be) too much traffic now. Long Weekend - you should be out camping.
FollowupID: 371075

Follow Up By: Brian B (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 19:20

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 19:20
Ruth,

Would have loved to be away but had to stay home and do some painting so that is not good.

You're right it can be busy up around Double Island Point at times these days but if you go off peak you can still find a bit of a quiet spot.

Despite the crowds at times etc we think this area and Fraser Island are two pretty special places and love going there.

Hopefully next year will see us in your neck of the woods so if all goes to plan we will find you and have a yarn.

Catch you later.
FollowupID: 371076

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 19:19

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 19:19
Lovely to hear the news Ruth and I guess you could get some more to follow up with the 10 day forecast here. The ten day isn't as reliable as the close up it is good to check this one a few times a week. You have been able to organise rain before the trip last year too, so well done to get the wild flowers going two years in a row. I guess though there may be some slightly boggy patches again too for the unaware.
10 day US rainfall model for Australia
AnswerID: 115378

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:43

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 07:43
John, showed the old boy the rainfall model this a.m. - very impressive. 12 degrees and foggy this a.m. - the noise of the constant drip of the condensation on the verandah was funny - as was the drip of rain into the new water tank.
FollowupID: 371098

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:04

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:04
Sounds like an ideal time to be at Birdsville Ruth. Sent you an email too byt the way. Can't send MMs now you are a Business member.......
FollowupID: 371109

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:11

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:11
Got your email thks John and will be replying - need a Devil's Advocate on something (political I might add) so will get a chance later today - have to spend the rest of the day in the office. All the campers cleared off - scared by the thought of more rain!!! Hehehe.
Not being a 'member' and not having MM is a pain actually - one of the big disadvantages - I did tell EO that I miss not being a member in my own right.
FollowupID: 371127

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 17:16

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 17:16
Am sure Michelle and David wouldn't mind you paying a members subscription too to send Member Messages just as Member Eric (Vic) does lol
FollowupID: 371141

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:17

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:17
Oh, I didn't realise that Eic did that - think I might also. Don't mind being a business person but miss my OWN identity.
Didn't get to email you yet - started cleaning the house, had a few champers whilst listening to Bach (very deep & moving whilst cleaning the bath - into the Goldberg Variations at the moment - it's hard to practise the right keys whilst scrubbing the shower with Ajax) - Ian moved out to the Office to watch the football on Austar - couldn't stand the noise. LOL. Had to ring him on the fax phone to come over to the house and open another bottle of champers! Should have heard what he said. Real reason I'm trying to type this is - about 6:00 the thunder and lightening started and just started raining again (yahoo) and then 6 cars in one lot and four in another came in from Windorah - took them hours and hours and they are going to the Desert tomorrow. Hahahaha!
Weather forecast came in this arvo - the really good one - predicting 35 mls or more (not unlike your 10 day one I might add). So here I am not watching the 7:00 o'clock news and about to have another champers - Ian's gone up to Ron's house for a few ales with him and Steve Bonsey, our supply truck driver from Quilpie - he got in from Bedourie with out F & V (thank goodness) and will probably fly out on Tuesday a.m. and leave the truck here. OBviously you are home minding the cows and not away somewhere camping - how is your weather. I will email you but not full of champers - need advice. LOL. Ruth. Heather will get a laugh out of this.
FollowupID: 371151

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:56

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:56
Ruth, Eric has a wholesale car business and has hire ones too I think, probably if he was to be the driver. I am sure he has a Valiant or two for that - you know the Greek Mercedes. LOL I am sure the surges of Bach through the house help clean the bath a lot, but be careful of deep and meaningful movements bending over the bath, especially after the champers.

That rain forecast model has known to be very wrong before, like when the whole East Coast was forecast to be deep blue/purple inland for hundreds of kilometers. The closer to the 5 day the better but can give a good incication of the 5-10 day system development.

Yes, we are home at the moment and have a few things to do before we head northwards, meeting wise for me, as I have late July and early August. The manager is in NZ at the moment on business so I am filling in and doing repairs. Even unbogging loaders.

Looking forward to that email.
FollowupID: 371169

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:09

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 12:09
Great news Ruth - even my previously reluctant 15 year old is showing a mild interest now! :-)

I'm travelling through in mid July west to east via the Rig Road and Warburton Crossing.

Does local rain cause a problem at the Warburton Crossing or other spots in the deserts or is it the monsoonal rains in the gulf that are the only things to get the creeks flowing and stop us?

Thanks
Tim
AnswerID: 115431

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:13

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 13:13
Tim, we will look forward to seeing you. Why did you choose the Rig Road? How much time have you to travel across the SD?
Yes, local rain can affect the SD (different parts), definitely the Warburton - but I think you are safe from the monsoonal rains in mid-July. By mid-July the flowers should be terrific.
FollowupID: 371129

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 14:02

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 14:02
Thanks Ruth,

It's been raining in Perth for what seems like weeks now, heading for above average winter for the first time in decades.

Why the Rig Road? It's a time thing really. We have two weeks to get from Yulara to Adelaide - the two weeks of the WA July school holidays. I've got two family members that cannot have any days off apart from school holidays and two that can. I'll be driving to Yulara with the two younger kids leaving Perth mid week and picking up my wife and reluctant 15yo at the airport on Sat July 2nd. Then we have two weeks to get through to Adelaide to drop the older ones at the airport so they can come back to the grind whilst I drive back across the Nullabor with the others glued to the DVD screens!

My plan is to spend about five days west of Alice and around Alice, then head to Dalhousie and across the Simpson. We will be in Alice on the weekend the EO gathering in Birdsville so will miss out on that.

I saw the Warburton track as a bit of a short cut through to the south where we were heading, and a way of saving some travel time if we had headed to your place as I guess most people do. We've got two nights/three days set aside to cross the desert, and have also set aside some time to tour through the Flinders on the way south.

I'd welcome your comments.

Thanks
Tim

FollowupID: 371133

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:34

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:34
Tim, sorry to have waited so long to reply but really wanted to hear about the Simpson Desert and rains. I always think it's nice if there is time to do a cross section of the Simpson - you know up and down all the tracks as far as possible. I can now say after the last few days that the wildflowers are going to be lovely in a couple of weeks. So hope you enjoy it. There's been quite good falls out there, according to those who struggled out yesterday. Good news.
FollowupID: 371292

Sponsored Links