Hella Predator H.I.D. light - how do you adjust them.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:12
ThreadID: 23779 Views:7687 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I had these put on on Friday arvo and they need to be adjusted . They are not like my old Cibie Oscars which just adjusted up / down on the bolt underneath .
They have a flat knob on each side but when I tried to turn them they would not budge . Are these knobs what you use to adjust the height and direction ???

Yes I'm stupid !

Thanks ,

Willie .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:30

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 17:30
At the price of those things, you deserve a personalised training workshop at a retreat somewhere, for the weekend :-) ....... can they be used in fireban areas ?
AnswerID: 115369

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 22:45

Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 22:45
Hi Banjo ,

I just came back from Darwin and drove a lot at dawn and sunset and it was like a slalom except roos were the flags . I think these things are bloody expensive , but if they help me spot the roos 5 seconds earlier , I will be happy .

The big problem is going to be stopping people stealing them .

I haven't had an answer so it looks like nobody knows .

Cheers ,

Willie
FollowupID: 371084

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:48

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:48
Willie,
I have the hella 4000 spotlights which I am pretty sure have the same casinngs as the predators. Mine are 7 years old but have given me no trouble at all. If you look at the middle of those flat knobs you should find a keyway to accept an allen key which will loosen them enough to adjust lights. When I had mine fitted two allen keys were suppled with each light, one for the adjusting knobs and a smaller one for removing the front covers to change bulbs if required. Hope this helps.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115416

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:14

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 15:14
Rob ,

4WD warehouse put them on for me but they did not supply any instructions or allen keys . I am sure they should have also supplied some kind of warranty form .

I am going to ring Hella on Tuesday and find out .

Thanks for your help - now I can go out and play !

Cheers ,

Willie .
FollowupID: 371135

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:53

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 08:53
Willie,
just a P.S. to my reply. Make sure you tighten them up with the allen key when adjusted and they will never come loose. Do it by hand and you could loose them very quickly. If you ever find one in the Simpson deert it"s mine!MPG:3!
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115417

Reply By: conman - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 20:16

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 20:16
Hi Willie,

I have 2 sets of the 4000's and you need a 5 or 6 millimetere allen key to turn those knobs. Don't loosen them too much though cause you'll take the whole light off. Then you'll need to undo the lens to get them threaded again.

Pity they didn't adjust them for you. At $1500 each. (Is that what their worth?)

I've thought about getting a set, but like you said, I'd be crying for months when they get stolen. I Might go the xgt HID's if they have a special at the 4wd show.

PS you need to find a long straight dark road that is flat to adjust them. They tend to move when you tighten them up.
AnswerID: 115477

Follow Up By: 4X4Treker - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:17

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:17
Conman
Try the below web page, they are a retro fit HID kit for $450 that you can fit to your existing driving lights which is much less than what they want for the ones that are mentioned above
http://shop.importdriver.com.au/store/products/item831.inetstore

Cheers
Treker
FollowupID: 371156

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 16:35

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 16:35
4x4Treker,
Do you know if the HID replacement globes for the orig. spec car lights are a success ?
Thanks ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 371203

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 16:41

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 16:41
Hi conman ,
I had an allen key and I have successfully adjusted them and tightened them up again with no problems . I drove them around the suburb and they are pretty bloody good . They made my Oscars seem as though they had not been working properly .
I got two Predator spread beams as the spread beams go out as far as the pencil beams did on the Oscars .
AMAZING !,
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 371204

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:34

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:34
How do you adjust them??

With a welding mask on !!!

Not sure on a good way to theft-proof those housings, you may be able to fit some sort of cable to the bulbar tabs, swaged at each end, or similar.

But like anything, if they want em bad enough they will get them, best get them covered on the insurance.
AnswerID: 115793

Reply By: 4X4Treker - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:04

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:04
Willie
My son has put a retro fit HID into the main head light on his 954 Honda Sports bike with spectacular results the only draw back is that it is a single filament HID as the Honda gets its high beam from two lights either side of the main head light of which he has fitted a couple of high output Philips Kripton lamps which all up work well together.
Having said that you can purchase high / low HID lights but from what I have heard these are a compromise Low beam is HID and High beam is a Kripton or similar type lamp.
There is a high low fit that uses a magnetic activated deflector that suits H4 type head lights that you might be interested in.
From my research so far use the HID retro fits in the Driving lights and the use a high quality lamp in the headlights gives a great result, all the above is available on the web site below,
http://shop.importdriver.com.au/store/products/item831.inetstore

Cheers
Treker
AnswerID: 115800

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:44

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:44
Thanks for the input Treker.I will go to the website and check it out .
Willie
FollowupID: 371609

Sponsored Links