Coongie Lakes -State gets New National Park

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 11, 2005 at 22:25
ThreadID: 23786 Views:1750 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
An article in the Adelaide Advertiser of today , Saturday announcing Coongie Lakes area is now a State National Park. It worries me a bit to think that now National Parks have it they will put up heaps of lovely pine log ballards all around the place and turn it into a prestine camping area that no one will want to visit.
Also have heard the main track in to the lake over the sand dunes has been closed "temporarily" due to soft drifting sand.and may remain closed until weather conditions change. I hope this is not an excuse for a permanent closure.

Can any one confirm or deny the above, as we are planning yet another return trip to Coongie in August
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:29

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:29
Well, can't confirm or deny - you'll probably find out by reading the newspaper before anyone else - but they do close the track from time to time because the drifts get fairly difficult and people keep getting stuck (and don't think to let their tyres down to get out). IF they are waiting for the weather change then Innamincka had 24 mls on Thursday/Friday - it's just started to rain again here tonight so maybe they will get some more. Should bring the flowers out - should be good for you when you get there. Keep the Forum posted will you on the Parks announcement.
AnswerID: 115471

Reply By: Member - Jason F (NSW) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 23:01

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 23:01
Last Tuesday I checked withe the ranger and the track around the lake was closed with no ETA for re-opening.

Hope that changes real soon.

Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 115621

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:00
If it's a National Park, it probably means cattle will also be banned from entry.

Hm! How do you stop them????? Put a fence around the place?????
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115672

Reply By: cruiser14 - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:57

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:57
Was in there 2 weeks ago.
The track around the lake had a "Road Closed " sign accross it. It was about 1 km in from were you go over the first dune. There were also a lot of fresh wheel tracks around the sign, so it obviously is not stopping everyone.

There were still sites for camping beside the lake before the road closure but I preffered to camp up by the river. A very nice part of the outback indeed.

Andy.
AnswerID: 115709

Follow Up By: Terryfirma - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 14:31
Thanks Andy,

Thats good news. At least you can get in and over the first dune and camp on the shoreline. I had heard it was closed at the dune so the only camping would have been around the "Day parking" area.

I am now getting excited...... Coongie here we come (pity I have to wait until August)

Terry
FollowupID: 371318

Reply By: Richary - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 17:08

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 17:08
I'm also thinking of heading up this way in August. I see you aren't allowed campfires at the lakes themselves, was thinking about staying in the Outstation that the Toyota club looks after as it will probably be a club trip for us (Mt Lofty Rangers).

Any special recommendations for excellent camping sites where fires are allowed if we don't take the station option? And any must-see's in the area - this will probably be a drive somewhere and relax trip rather than cram as much driving as possible into it one.
AnswerID: 117281

Sponsored Links