Explorer SLS

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 09:53
ThreadID: 23795 Views:1611 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys – In getting ready for the next trip I decided it was time to replace the shock absorbers on the Explorer. The front were no problem. I put on Monroe gas. When it came to the rear self levelling suspension thoughts were to disconnect the air and just replace them with gas as well. Monroe said they had not done this before which started to ring an alarm bell. On researching, Pedders at Mascot said I would need to change the front sway bar (think that was what they said) and reset the rear springs ie do a complete suspension rebuild or after a few months the rear would start to sag. Apparently the SLS shockers carry some of the weight all of the time. The final decision is to replace with genuine Ford SLS at about $400. If and when the air pump calls it a day (I’m told about $2500 to replace) I will have a look at the rebuild. Cheers Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:35

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:35
Gday Trev

If the pump call’s it a day I would just put new rear sprigs on, as depending on how old the spring’s are they generally do not stay reset for very long.
Also with out the help of the air up back you will find out once you put some weight in the car the stock springs just aren’t up to it off-road.

I put on rased Lovell’s springs and the difference is amazing.
AnswerID: 115487

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:14

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:14
Hello Exploder - Thanks for the back up information. If it's not a rude question. How much did the new Lovell's cost you? Did you make any changes to the front as well? Cheers, Trev
FollowupID: 371167

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:50

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:50
Not a problem.

2* 2 inch rased Lovell’s on the rear $624 plus fitting, also you need new rear bush’s about $40
Up front, I Put the stock torsion bar up 30mm, you will need a wheel alignment

Kept the original shocks for now, they took the 2-inch lift up back easily, not even close to topping out.

You shocks may be different due to the air suspension, not to sure about that set-up. I have a XLT with no air.

FollowupID: 371212

Sponsored Links