Vehicle insurance

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 18:24
ThreadID: 23805 Views:1949 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I am in the throws of purchasing a new 4x4 cruiser and seek some advise on the prefered insurance companies of the members. I have read somewhere in past threads (cant find them now) about some insurance not covering accessories and others not covering for towage unless the vehicle can be accessed by a 2 wheel drive vehicle.
I would like to know of companies that have taken premiums and reneged when the preverbial hit the fan.
Any advice will be appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 18:53

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 18:53

This is the number of an insurance mob that is recomended by 4wd victoria they will cover accessories + up to $5000 of camping gear, they have agreed or market value policies what ever you prefer, I have spoken to them recently and they seem to be 4wd friendly.


AnswerID: 115466

Reply By: V8 Landcruiser man - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:00

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:00
Hi there Jeff.
I just brought a brand new v8 auto GXL last week and i was expecting it to cost a furtune to insure but i was shocked to find out that it is cheaper to insure then my 2001 statesman v6.
I asked all the 4x4 questions eg if i damage it off road ect, The only think they told me was as long as it was an existing track(not bush bashing)im covered.
They also cover all accesories on the 4x4 as long as it is on the premium.
The insurance company ive always used is AAMI and the premium on the new cruiser only cost $520 a year.
I hope that this helps you a bit.
P.S I have claimed using AAMI in the past for damage done to my Hilux 4x4 when i slid into a tree in the bush and they fixed in without a problem.
I recommend that you give them a call.

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 115467

Follow Up By: Member -Hank (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:56

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 06:56
this is pretty much the case with most of the major insurance companies but I think you will find that if you put so much as a 2" lift kit on they just arn't interested.
FollowupID: 371253

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 20:46

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 20:46
AAMI are great, they insure all sorts of stuff, not just cars.

Any extras you want insured need to be listed, with make, model number or name, repalcement cost etc:
AnswerID: 115479

Reply By: Skinnydog - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 22:25

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 22:25
Woobla, you should also give Western QBE a call as they cover you off road, cover all bolted on accessories once you provide a detailed list including aftermarket suspension, tyres, winch, compressor etc,plus unlimited glass, not just windscreen and they're in WA. If you've done a 4wd defensive driving course dont forget to ask for your discount.
AnswerID: 115494

Follow Up By: David/Dave - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:13

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 17:13
We've got our cars insured with WQBE. Have found through my wife's regular September accidents (five in five years, don't ask why, because there is no reason!) that they are very good. Last prang was a write-off and we had the cheque in our hands within a week. Previous prangs were quickly repaired and efficiently handled. ALWAYS ask for a discount, no matter who you end up going with.
FollowupID: 371205

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:45

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:45
Whatever you do, dont get a market value policy. Sit with agreed value. Market value they try and establish what your car was worth before an accident, and you get that much. Dont like the low figure they come out with? stick it. It will cost you incredible amounts of time and money to fight the case, and you will be lucky to get what you want.
Agreed value you set the mark at what it is insured for, if written off you get that much paid out (minus excess, and any outstanding yearly premium). Agreed value you will not get stung like market value.
My mate put my last 80 on its roof in the bush near karratha at midnight and RAC WA had the car assessed, secured and towed away next morning. Full payout, no stuffing around. Accessories listed were covered, the only sting was the stuff I installed that week that I hadnt told them about- (If the car is a writeoff it becomes theirs, and taking off any items from the car can be stealing) Luckily, the assessor in perth was a nice bloke and let me swap back my stock rubber for the 1-week old MT/Rs on the bus when it put its legs in the air- I did lose $1k on unspecified stereo gear though.
If you look into RAC, check out their Aussie Assist program- dead set valuable if you do any sort of touring.
AnswerID: 115531

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:29

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:29
Jeff, I've got mine insured with HBF. Much cheeper than QBE who I had been recommended to try. HBF will cover me for off road, and I presume it cost me no more. Never asked about accessories and so far haven't made a claim. However with my previous vehicle, 2wd, I never had any problems.

Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 115574

Reply By: Woobla (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:21

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:21
Thanks everyone,
The feedback is as usual, excellent and I appreciate the time taken to reply.
AnswerID: 115633

Reply By: Tonester - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:22

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:22
Perhaps not much use to WA, but I use RACV here. They said as long as it was an established track, not a problem. They had something in there about >50mm lift, but as I only did 45mm I didn't chase it down. They don't care about larger diameter, but do about 20mm greater width. Also make sure you specify every non-stock item. I added towbar, bullbar, sidesteps, lights, UHF, antennna, 240 invertor, snorkel, raised springs, bigger tyres (think that was all) and it cost an extra $9 per year.
AnswerID: 115686

Sponsored Links