More Rain for Birdsville

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:31
ThreadID: 23806 Views:1930 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thunder and lightning this afternoon and rain started again at 6:30 p.m. Forecast is about 35 mls but we'll wait and see. Coming in from the west so the Simpson Desert will benefit and should produce plenty of lovely flowers in about 6 weeks - not sure that those out in the Desert will think of it as a benefit - but that's part of the adventure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:29

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:29
Thanks Ruth,
would be dissapointed not to see some growth after the flower show of the desert last year. ;-)

Looking forward to getting away now....
AnswerID: 115484

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:29

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:29
Hello Ruth,

Hope you get plenty, we've had 14.8 mm since about 6am yesterday.

Reckon there's more on the way, satmap shows more funnelling in from north-west.

See ya...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115505

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:53

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:53
How good is that, Bob. We only had about 8 mls since yesterday but the thunder and lightning show late yesterday dumped 77 mls on Bedourie!! The pelicans are busy fishing in the billabong - big mob of them. Beautiful rain, slow and soaking. Bet your smiling!
FollowupID: 371194

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:47

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:47
Great re the rain Ruth.....I can just picture some miserable campers out there wandering around sodden campsites with 6 inches of mud on the soles of their boots - ha ha ha ! ........ been there - done that ! Going to the West Macs and the Alice in September - hope the flower seeds get plenty of rain until then - went there 3 years back after a wet winter and was blown away by the flowers - trees, shrubs and groundcovers - wondrous to see - the whole outback was as good as any botanic garden ! If I remember rightly, this might be your last season up there ?
AnswerID: 115510

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:41

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:41
Hey Banjo - go another two years from now, but not leaving Birdsville, got another idea.
The blokes who went into the Desert Sunday came out very sorry this morning. Everyone had to go south - only road open!! Few chose to stay here and wait it out - the're drowing their sorrows in the Pub - how unusual. Wind still blowing from the north - showers come and go - looks clear and then rains. Bloody beautiful rain. Our new rainwater tank now half full and we manufactured a tap so filled a few containers and the kettle - just had my first rainwater pot of tea (as opposed to that fabulous bore water) - sweet as. The pelicans are busy as in the bilabong fishing in a big group near that big old tree - fair few yabbies in there this week. Would clump down through the newly graded mud (oooh yuk) but haven't any freezer/cold room space because the supply truck came in and he's had to put all the stations food (on the Windorah Road) in our cold room and freezers because the truck is parked up and he's going to fly back to Quilpie tomorrow. Those with planes will have to fly in when they get hungry.
FollowupID: 371193

Sponsored Links