My Best road trip ever in my new GU!

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 19:50
ThreadID: 23809 Views:2809 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
For those interested I took delivery of Chris M's (now mine :-) sensational GUTD6 on friday, after a slight change in plans I flew to Brisy on friday morning and drove the vehicle home, left Brisy friday arvo about 3.30pm drove through to Moree that night and then home to FT Gully by about 9.00pm last night (sat'dy night).
approx 19.5 hrs road time.
I don't think there's any use in posting any economy figures because I made far too much use of the loud pedal, especially up hills when the overtaking lane presented itself, I was like a kid with a new toy, went for a short ride today and the adrenalin levels have returned to a more sedate level.
I couldn't believe how well the car goes, Chris needs to be congratulated on setting up such a great car, the engine performance is magnificent and the ride on the 4inch heavy duty Lovells and EFS big bore shocks was great, a little stiff but I was carrying nothing but an overnight bag, so with a few tools/slash camping equipment it might "soften" a bit (obviously all black top) I had every intention of swapping my 2inch Kings & Konis from my old rig with his set up to give me a more "city friendly" car but I don't think I can make myself do it now, obviously there will be off road advantages + it looks great.

Oh and the purrrrr from the 3inch mandrell, Plus the Pioneer sound system the VDO in car nav.............oh how I could go on, needless to say I'm a happy chappy.

Thanks Chris for taking the day off work on friday to help things go smoothly, your continuously ringing phone obviously meant you were busy.

Happy Days........Browny.
P.S.Chris is coming down next week and might be available friday arvo/night for a lager or three so maybe we could have a mini EO trip to a local booser (all welcome) or maybe a bbq at someones place?? Crazie???? surely your place is good for a barbie:-), or Jimbob???

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:10

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:10
Browny, it's not the one in the rig pic then now? I was trying to play around with that one for animations the other day, having the front wheels turning every which way. Cheers mate,
AnswerID: 115516

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:08

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:08
G'day John,

No mate, ti's the old faithful still in the rig pic, no new pics on file as yet.

Animations and stuff like your flashing lights way over this techo amatours head...:-)

Browny
FollowupID: 371217

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:13

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:13
Onya Browny............you're the envy of quite a few of us on here I reckon.
Glad the big girl behaved herself and showed you what she's capable of. I just find that the whole package (ie: the GU with 4.2TD) is sooooo confidence inspiring......I've never felt that I was getting myself into something the vehicle wasn't capable of getting me out of (despite having been stuck a few times and having to winch myself out etc).
I'm sure you will continue to love the new family member.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 115518

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:19
Cheers Roachie,

Your right, just the sound of the old 4.2 oiler idleing away does instill confidence, to have one that has been "tweeked" a little like Chris has done to make it perform much better but still well within the parameters of the engines reliabilaty sure is a bonus.

Browny
FollowupID: 371219

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:23

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:23
Glad you got down there mate without a scratch!

Am keen for a trip to the local EO pub in Melbourne on Friday arv if possible.

Have been bidding with interest already on a T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo for the new member...haven't got it yet, but it will definitely be a Petrol Carby fed TB42 that has not been run on gas. After doing my sums, I can see the petrol will be ALOT cheaper for a 2 year ownership.

I will be purchasing another TD6 in 2 years...or that is the plan anyway.

Keep me posted on the beerathon...

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 115544

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:03

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:03
Two years from now Chris, you will definately get the all new model. Thats what i'm aiming for, lets hope they dont go too soft on the new model.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 371215

Follow Up By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:24

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:24
Cheers Chrisso,

Will look forward with interest as you "build" the next one, will be interesting to hear how the petrol goes.

Browny
FollowupID: 371220

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:14

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:14
Browny,

How about Friday night at La Porchettas, Rowville. About half way between your place and mine. Glenn will probably be in it and anyone else would be welcome.

Who's keen?

Mac, Adam, Eric, Moggs? All fairly close to home.

We could then do a dat trip to Gembrook on Saturday.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 115580

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:04

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:04
We are in..
FollowupID: 371285

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:03

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:03
Brownie,

Thats is simply awesome mate, congrats on the new arrival into the brownie household.

Happy to have a bbq or meet somewhere. We have packing for the simpson at the moment so our house has gear everywhere, but can always manage a bbq. Happy to go with Jimbo's selection as well. What ever is the go, please count us in

cheers

Ads
AnswerID: 115682

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 17:51
Keep me posted guys, I'll just keep friday arv open! Looking forward to meeting you all!
FollowupID: 371346

Reply By: Member - Browny (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 18:15
G'Day Boys,

I'm thinking maybe initialy just a meet & greet at the local pub, maybe the one thats at the junction of Burwood hwy and FT Gully rd (Vas's for the locals) and see if or who wants to go for a feed after that ?

Thanks Crazie but we couldn't impose on you in the middle of packing......:-)

Good idea Jimbob, just not sure how much time Chris has up his sleeve?

Browny
AnswerID: 115749

Sponsored Links