The "A Van" Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 20:18
ThreadID: 23810 Views:15885 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
does anybody on here own one of these?

We checked them out at the Brissie show this weekend and (while not everybodies cup of tea) they appear to match our needs.

We would be interested to hear comments from owners regarding pluses and minuses.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BARRYR - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:02

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:02
Have you had a look at the A vanners website. www.aroundoz.com/ Barry.
AnswerID: 115512

Reply By: Shawn - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:06

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:06
G'Day
Have owned an Avan Cruiseliner 3C (fold up d/bed to lounge) since October last year. Took it to Tassie for a mounth over Dec/Jan and weekends away down the coast from Sydney 4 times this year.
For the wife and I, it is ideal, as you, said not everyones cup of tea, but for us its great.
Easy set up / pull down, very easy towing. Only bit that takes time is setting up the annex, (as you have to thread the annex roof on the vans roof then raise the van roof, not hard though).
If you want MM me and I will go though the a full list of mods etc the we have done.
Cheers
Shawn
AnswerID: 115515

Follow Up By: Shawn - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:26

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:26
As for the above post about the Avan website, it's very good for mods and the pros/cons about the Avans:
Have a look: Exploreoz
FollowupID: 371174

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:43

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 19:43
Agree with Shawn , thay're greate . I would advise getting one with the boot in frount through . Wife didn't want that at the time of buying , but i said we were having it . Now she can see that i was right . As Shawn said "not everone's cup of tea" but it's easy to put up and towes great ,also it's the same width as the nissan , so if the nissan will fit , then the a-van will to . Cheers Errol
FollowupID: 371229

Reply By: DRM (Vic) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:58

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:58
hi,

yes we own an aliner (4 berth bunk bed model) + full annexe, solar panel/ battery.
see www.avan.com.au

not only a breeze to tow and erect (your in it within 30secs) , but it is insulated from the elements and offers a bit security compared. suits our needs 2A+2kids.

wer're heading off to the flinders rangers in Sept.

cant wait.

rgds
AnswerID: 115573

Reply By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:12

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:12
Thanks for all your replies - and for the links - good to know there is a user site, as these are usually invaluable.

fwiw, the Cruiseliner 2B is the one that appealed to us. We certainly don't intend to use it as a T van or Jurgens, but it would see some gravel roads and sand.

So we'll put a few hours in now on thse links.

thanks again.
AnswerID: 115579

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:27

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:27
To me, they're not a lot of van for a lot of money. That's just the way I see it.

Apparently they are very quick to set up and put down, which is an obvious advantage.

For the money I'd go for a hard floor camper which can be up and you're in bed in a few minutes. A lot more space than an A Van.

Me, I've got a soft floor camper which takes about 30 min to set up (awning, shade cloth floor, kitchen, lighting etc etc). Plenty of space, but I'd quickly get sick of it if I was doing it every day. Too bloody hard for overnighters on a trip. I'd want something that could be up at night in 5 minutes and down in the same time the next morning.

Currently we only use ours for stops of a few nights or a leisurley overnighter. It is not suited to travelling where you stop and go everynight.

Is there the perfect camper? I think not. Like everything in life it is a compromise.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 115584

Follow Up By: Member - AVA 191 (QLD) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:52

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:52
Hi Jim - you are correct about the "compromise" bit lol.
We looked at the tent trailers - I dont want to argue at all but our line of thinking was: basic ones seem like an amalgamation of a $800 tent and a $500 box trailer but cost $5k to $7k. The ones that had the features we wanted were actually the same price as the AVans. Some definitely have more space, thats true.

In essence, it is the ease of erection and dismantling that appeals to us. We had to pension our Primus tent off at Easter after 26 years of service (ripped in a wild storm). So we wanted to get away from the canvas scene this time around.
FollowupID: 371231

Sponsored Links