Rabbit flat RDH to Topsprings

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 23812 Views:1607 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, all,

I' m planing to travel from Rabbit Flat RDH (Tanami road) to Top Springs.

Does anyonr know the road ?? How difficult is it ?? How much time shoud I allow ??

Thanks.

Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:44

Sunday, Jun 12, 2005 at 21:44
Hi Eric,
I'm travelling the lenghth of Tanimi next month.... and I have it on authority from my sisterinlaw....a petite 5' nun....... who runs education at Balgo Hills...it's easy
She does the shopping run to Alice Springs regularly in a Troopy without any concerns, takes 11 hours. However rain changes conditions dramatically and washout are big concern.
Regards
joe
AnswerID: 115489

Reply By: Member - David 0- Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:11

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 08:11
Eric,

I have just returned, and travelled the Tanami road 4 weeks ago. The road was in excellent condition, having just been graded. Most of the road is now formed up, rather than graded into the terrain. This means that is suffers less during wet weather. When I travelled it 4 weeks ago, you could have driven any 2wd sedan on it. Bear in mid corrugations will form in just a few days on such roads, and bulldust holes are always a risk, if there is enough traffic on the road. In short it is not difficult, however, it is remote and conditions can change dramatically with weather so take precautions and take your time.

David O
AnswerID: 115504

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:18

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 09:18
Some lovely photos David
FollowupID: 371173

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:17
Eric
I suspect previous respondents have misunderstood your query.

I think you refer to the Lajamunu track from Top Springs through Kalkaringi that comes out west of Rabbits Flat.

First part to Kalkarinji is fine, but a bit hard going for the 370 or so km. Have done it in my OKA (about seven hours) but cannot really comment otherwise. You'll need a fair bit of fuel unless you back track to Rabbits Flat (open only Fri-Mon).

If any doubts I suggest you stay on the track from Top Springs to Halls Creek - it very scenic at the Halls Creek end - good camping about 60 km from HC. There;s about 70 km of single lane bitumen from Top Springs westward - VERY dangerous as its windy and a few locals drive very fast along it.

The Tanami Rd is in good shape right now.
Trust this may help a little
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 115834

Sponsored Links