Rainfall Report

Submitted: Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 13:51
ThreadID: 23819 Views:2211 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The storm with thunder and lightning I mentioned last night in a previous post dropped 77 mls (no, not points) on Bedourie (179 klms north of Birdsville), Birdsville has had only about 7 mls - wind still in the north and plenty of cloud and showers. Innamincka not raining, Mungerannie not raining, Alice Springs - raining.
Roads to Mt Isa cut - road to Windorah cut (Durrie Stn - 34 mls; Mt Leonard at
Betoota - 20 mls; Inland Oil Refineries - 25 mls (that's just near the bitumen west of Windorah). It's the Windorah Road you take when trying to go to Innamincka via Cordillo or Arrabury. Bit of rain at Mt Dare so far and those people who went into the Simpson Desert yesterday (Sunday) came out wet this a.m. So, only road open is the Birdsville Track and three blokes just came in from there and struggled - badly cut up and slippery. Good adventure.
Most of Birdsville stuck either in Jundah (where they went to flog the Barcoo Shire in a return grudge cricket match) or Marree (where they went to the Races and for the end of the Cattle Drive).
I've cleaned out my part of the shed and Ian's trying to find his large steel work bench - and maybe put all his tools away properly. Will have to do paperwork now.
See ya.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:16

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 15:16
Hi Ruth,

For those of us heading that way in the next few weeks, your reports are appreciated. We hope to be at Coongie Lakes in the last week of July, first week of August. Then its up the Cordillo Downs rd through Arrabury, on to Bedourie, Boulia, Diamantina Lakes NP, Mt Isa and Lawn Hill. Towing a camper trailer.

My guess is that regardless whether there is more rain between now and then, the roads are going to stay pretty cut up from this last dump you got. Is that right?

Regards,
John
AnswerID: 115543

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 18:19
Hi John, by the time you head out there should be some flowers starting to pop out. Diamantina Lakes has had good rain also - so should stir the fish up for you. Remember that those travelling on the roads once they start to dry out will roll them a bit for you. Give us a call (or on here) just before you leave and I will try and advise on how cut up/condition of the roads for you. You'll have a great trip now - it will be green.
FollowupID: 371218

Follow Up By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 21:46

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 21:46
Thanks Ruth. Appreciate it.
FollowupID: 371236

Reply By: hl - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:18
Hi,

Why don't you just give the rain in millimeters (mm).
It is one letter shorter to type than "mls" and it actually corresponds with what the weather bureau says (then you don't have to explain that it not "points" either)..

Cheers

AnswerID: 115581

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:46

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:46
Simply because (in my vast experience out here) I have to emphasise that the rain has fallen in large amounts (for us) and I am forever being asked - 'oh 77 points' - because naturally travellers don't expect it to rain in the Desert area. Also, there are large numbers of people who travel Australia who are still not metricated - just listen to Australia All Over on Sunday morning on ABC Radio.
Added to which I am ususally tired when I get time to sit here and give people an update and I am far from perfect. When I grow up I want to be a meteorologist so I might have to mend my ways then - thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. Last night we only had 4 points.
FollowupID: 371256

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:08

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:08
Just to help Ruth out. Most prbably busy scraping mud of her shoes. :-)

4 points = 1mm, enough to wet the bottom of the rain gauge.

100 points to an inch, 25.4mm to an inch.
An inch is an old saxon measurement, rumoured to be the width of King Canutes thumb, and a foot the length of his .........? Interesting since Canute was really a Dane by birth, but adopted as a Saxon king after conquering a few of them!
FollowupID: 371260

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:52

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 12:52
Thank you old-plodder, I do frequently need assistance and I appreciate you being my White Knight today - sometimes 'they' pick on me.
I had heard that about King Canute.....
FollowupID: 371297

Follow Up By: Redback - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:27

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:27
Just as long as we don't have any points on saturday night at the EO NG i'll be happy eh Ruth.

Oh i've given up on the spit idea, though a campoven cook off would be better whatta ya reckon!!!

Baz.
FollowupID: 371591

Reply By: hl - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:50

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:50
so....
what's that in mm please?

Thanks for the thanks.

(we stayed at your place last year on the "mud flat")
Didn't know it was one until it rained!

Cheers
Have a nice day
AnswerID: 115644

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:06

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:06
We've just graded the mud flat and cleared away the bullrushes on the edge of the billabong and it looks more like a nice waterhole now - bit more water in it, unfortunately, it again looks like a mud flat and there is always someone who wants to drive down there and practise circle work. Amazing how, within one nice blowing windy day, that area can return to blowing sand again. Very heavy cloud again today and not cold enough. Bye
FollowupID: 371259

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:50

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 16:50
G'day Ruth,

You were right, I'm smiling, but an ear-to -ear grin might be a better description!!!

Still overcast and raining lightly here, but we've had almost 38mm here since Sunday AM. Had to give a booster injection to a mob of trial steers this morning, and we all came home the long way through Lilleyvale Hills, and then down to Old Cork. First time ever that it got wetter coming down the Diamantina!!!

Goodyear MTR's perform well in the mud, as long as the pressure is down to mid 20's.

Satmap says we'll get some more later today, or tomorrow, so that will be delightful. Ricko has had 50mm, so he will be happy as a pig etc, when he gets home.

Sorry you didn't get more, but suppose someone has to be stoic, and miss out. Birdsville's turn next???

See ya ...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115733

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:49

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:49
Bob, that's fantastic news! Lucky you had Goodyears on, eh? Ian laughed at your description of getting wetter coming down the Diamantina. Might give the fish new life as well (he's hoping).
Where's Ricko been - away holidaying again. Good rain over that way - haven't looked at the map today but supposed to be good for here on Friday. Lovely clear morning here (cleared up about dinnertime yesterday) although moths and insects around the big lights last night. 9 degrees here this a.m. but inside the verandah dripping from the condensation - haven't had that for a while. Bring it on, Hughie - we are drinking rainwater - it's lovely.
FollowupID: 371401

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:21

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:21
Gee we were lucky as we stayed just ahead of the rain. Bros got home yesterday all dry and I stayed on in Biloela with my son and got up to rain this morning. You certainly need the rain and I see that there could be some more coming.

ooroo
AnswerID: 115971

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:56

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:56
Hi Meggs, was thinking about you yesterday and laughing , because it was lucky you went when you did - people still stuck here - only road open is the Birdsville Track - don't even think they will open the road to Windorah today either. Those stuck here are very philosophical and I must say they are the best stuck campers we've ever had! Beautiful weather though - clear and cloudless and 6 degrees this a.m. Makes you wonder how on earth anymore rain could come - late Friday! Good to see you.
FollowupID: 371535

Sponsored Links