Jackaroo suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 20:24
ThreadID: 23830 Views:2103 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2001 jack and I would like to replace the suspenion what should I use. I would like to include Polyair as well because I tow a camper trailer. Most of my driving is done on the beach.

Thanks Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris4285 - Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 23:20

Monday, Jun 13, 2005 at 23:20
Hi Geoff, I put tough dog foam cells all round with heavy duty springs & wound up the tortion bars. Changed tyres to 245/75/16. This has given me about 2 inches of lift. My Jackaroo is set for towing & it seems to work well although a bit hard in the back end without load. Otherwise Iam happy with the result. Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 115625

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:59

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:59
Geoff,

I don't believe a "brand name" suspension is all that important.
More important is the place where you buy the gear and get it fitted and will give you ongoing support. Price will also be a consideration for many people.

However, it is hard not to talk brand names and I think ARB (OME brand), or TJM (XJS brand ) outlets are as good as any.

I actually got mine done in Adelaide at 4WD Systems and what I liked about them is that they didn't try to sell the whole package at once.

You can get your shockers done first, then a lift with longer springs, both separately if you wish, providing the springs have sufficient travel. This may be all you need. One thing you should keep in mind is that there are several different type of shocks to choose from with different diameters, internal cells and adjustable style to decide on.

How heavy is your camper trailer? I tow mine and don't feel I need the polyair's as the rear suspension doesn't "sag". But again, you can fit Polyairs at any time in the future without compromising your existing setup so I would recommend you take it in stages.

As far as mine goes I chose 41mm adjustable shocks, then a 50mm lift. I still have the original front torsion bars which were simply wound up to increase the lift in front. Again, I can upgrade (replace) these at a later date only if necessary.

Worked for me.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 115645

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:01

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 08:01
Err,

I meant "providing the shocks have sufficient travel"
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 371258

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:51

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:51
Geoff, IMHO just put the polyairs in and spend good money on shocks. The polyairs at minimum psi will result in a lift at the rear because any sag will be taken out. Simply wind up the standard torsion bars to match and you are in business. You should not need new torsion bars unless you have a steel bar, winch, dual batteries etc, which you may but you have not stated so asumed not. You will not benefit from new rear springs unless you carry a heavy constant load and have an aversion to the airbags. I did a lot of towing a camper trailer over some of Australia's worst roads with the adjusted standard setup and polyairs and found it most effective. The IFS really works shocks hard so spend good money there, rears are less stressed. My only personal experience here was that I replaced the OEM ones at about 60K with Monroe Gas Magnum which I found worked well on the blacktop but faded quickly on corrogations. I've heard others say the better quality gas shocks are a little harsh on the Jack and that you should use a regular hydraulic, perhaps someone else has some experience here.
AnswerID: 115660

Sponsored Links