Mobile whip for Home

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 03:15
ThreadID: 23837 Views:1776 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all. Firstly I just want to say cheers to the people who replied on the last topic, first post on here and it's great to see people helping out. Now I know the regs and stuff say Camping, Four wheel driving and Caravanning in Australia, but I really dont know where else to post.

I have recently bought a 9db Mobile whip off one of my mates up the road and seeing as though I had the last 1 installed on my car, I thought I may as well place this one on the roof of my house and run a temp base station. Now I know what to use, type of coax, connector etc, just wondering where the best place on to mount this would be so I can communicate with other guys around the area. Another thing I was bloody worried about was if it would cause interference with TVs and such around the area. I'm gonna connect it up to my uh050xr handheld by the way. Anyone have any tips or advice on how or where exactly to mount it to achieve the antennas full ability and if this setup seems okay? Cheers all!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:31

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 05:31
BB it seems that most here will go for a maximum of 4.5dB gain or so as 4by owners will seldom have their vehicles on the flat except on flat roads. That is because the signal from a 9dB gain antenna is a more extreme ellipse, to a lower one. Does the home have a fibreglass roof and body or aluminium to start with? Does your antenna require a ground plane or does it have a base coil loading? I assume you will always be on the flat to transmit.

Having a 9dB whip tends to cunjure a high mount and a high top already to your mobile home, so trees could be a problem. If it has a base loading, you could mount it on the right extremity of the bullbar or on a mirror mounting probably on the drivers side away from side trees.

I have a 6dB stick as my base antenna at the house and it stuffs the tv pic only when transmitting with it mounted on the same pole as the tv antenna..
AnswerID: 115640

Reply By: Big Bazza - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 13:40
Thanks for the reply. It is a metal roof, high blocked house with no trees whatsoever surrounding it so it shouldn't be a problem. As for the antenna it is ground independant so really it can be mounted anywhere. Cheers.
AnswerID: 115707

Sponsored Links