Tyres for 2005 Nissan Patrol ST

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:23
ThreadID: 23862 Views:2161 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've got a '05 Patrol GU, which was factory fitted with 17 inch alloy's.

I am planning on keeping the alloys for road and urban use, and fitting steel rims and a more agressive tyre for off road.

I was initially looking at cooper STT's.

I've been to two dealers so far, one could only fit steel rims that provided only a very small clearance between the brakes.

Another gave me a good quote on Kelly MSR tyres, which he claimed where very good tyres, although the tread didn't look as aggressive as the STT's.

Any thoughts on Kelly MSR's? They were significantly cheaper than cooper STT's.

Anyone fitted steel rims to a '05ST, and if so what brand rim, and what kind of tyre?

Located in Darwin, and my next trip will be the GRR/Mitchell Plat, but will be moving to Canberra next year and doing a fair bit of driving around the Brindabellas etc.

Cheers
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 19:45
Craig

Fitted white ROH 16x8JJ with 275.70/16 BFG KO's. Very little change in rolling diameter from standard ( speedo now within about 2kph) alternative is 265. Stay with the 70 aspect.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 115759

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:05
Paul,
I think his problem is that his wheels are 17"; not 16". These bloody 4x4 manufacturers are hell-bent on increasing brake disc size, in turn forcing the size of wheels up to accomodate the bigger calipers.

Even so, you might find that 16" ROH Track 2 rims could fit. I changed my standard 16" Nissan rims for 16" x 8" ROH sunraysias (Track 2) and they have an extra 20mm of offset, so that could possibly make them better able to cope with the larger diameter brake calipers etc.

Too bad you're in Darwin, as if you were closer here in SA, I'd be happy for you to try my wheels on you truck so you could see for yourself if they'd be okay. You need to drive the truck with the wheels fitted so you can check if there are any issues on full lock etc.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 371383

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 21:02
If i were u and am not ..would stick on a set of split rims ..say 6 x 16 inches, and put on a set of 8-10 or 12 ply.. 7.50 x 16 tyres...,,, for the real off bitumen trips i would not have anything else...but thats IMHO...STT and MTR's all make believe heavy duty tyres and are a pain in the arse for noise and also are expensive... Aggressive looking , does not automatically mean the best for the job !!!...but they do rip the arse out of your wallet...! which is really what they are meant to do ....BUTT....that's IMHO...and some people don't like it !!!
AnswerID: 115773

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 22:31
not sure if they would fit on his vehicle but you are right. I have took my white rimes with 10 ply radials off coz they dont cut the mustard out bush. Got 6 splitties with near bald MSR supergripper crossplys even in their advanced wear stage they would leave these overpriced tyres for dead. Why, because they are not a compramise tyre they have huge lugs that howl like a siren on road they get flat spots in the morning that need working out but they certainly beat rocking up to the tyre shop with a fist full of dough after every trip. Splitties also make tyre removal so easy chix can do it but as I have found It hasnt been neccasary so far. All this for 100 bucks for 6 rims and 5 tyres with replacement tyres about half the cost of tyres with 25% of the strength
FollowupID: 371385

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:27
I don't believe for one second that Nissan are gonna change the disc size from the ST to the Ti, so 16 inch sunrasia's should fit any new patrol.

16" splits will also fit. might look like crap, but will fit.

BFG are fine for most city slickers who head out west every now and then (like me). If you plan on getting really serious into the bush, and doing it for a long time, then splits are a good idea.
AnswerID: 115807

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:00

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:00
Another convert!!! Splits and crossplys get a bad wrap but i can only assume it is from people with too much money or those that dont go bush
FollowupID: 371394

Follow Up By: Dog (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 20:57
Believe it or not the brake calipers are different. Either between the DX and the ST or between the '04 and the 05. Not sure which.

I took it in to a tyre dealer who hadn't actually fitted a 17 inch vehicle before (this is Darwin....) he got a bit excited and asked if I mind if he tried a few different rims on.

He fitted the normal ROH rims he fits to a Patrol and when he spun the tyre there was a faint scraping sound, and when we looked inside the rim there was very light paint scoring on the inside of the rim.

Tried another one same brand and it didn't touch, but the clearance was a bee's D*ck. He was worried than a very slight buckle in the rim would take out the brakes. Tried a few other rims, and found one that had a different shape and it cleared ok.
FollowupID: 371496

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:10

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:10
I would have my doubts that splitties would fit
FollowupID: 371529

Sponsored Links