WaterTanks

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2388 Views:1756 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Ive read of late about dust being a problem seeping into the water tank under vans.I've a Golf camper van and I am wondering if anyone has fitted a breather extension to the breather hole to reduce the chance of dust making the water undrinkable. Does anyone know of a workable solution???????????

thanks peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Peter, I have an old Viscount camper van, which had a water tank that was slow to fill and allowed water to slosh out on left hand bends After several attempts to rectify each problem, the following finally solved both of them. I drilled out the vent hole and Sikaflexed in one end of a piece of 1/2" PVC tube and shoved a 100mm length of 3/8 dowell in the other end. This I then ran through the floor, exiting below and in line with the filler cap. To fill the tank I put the hose in the filler, reach down and pull out the dowel and turn on the tap. This allows the displaced air to escape faster, the tank to fill quicker and to maximum capacity. After filling I refit the dowel to prevent water loss on left hand turns. It works for me, it should work for you.
AnswerID: 8611

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
Could you put a few filters in the breather line??? Foam ones, so that if water gets to them they dont stuff up???

Just a thought, i dont know much on the subject, its just somethign that came to mind! Same as with Diff breathers.
AnswerID: 8631

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
I have had this problem on one van only. I removed the tank, took it to a plastic welder to weld on a tail-piece/hose barb of ¼" and routed a breather hose to the front of the A frame. I put an aquarium tap on the end, and just used to close it when going on dusty roads. This is like on some vans, the dust that gets sucked up the sink plug hole, and you need to put the plug in the sink every time you travel.
AnswerID: 8637

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Peter,

The problem of dust contamination thru the breather hole is common when the breather hole is low down close to the tank. It means it is right there where all the dust is swirling around. Water sloshes around the tank and expands etc, causing the breather hole to become wet and dust to cling. The dust then gets drawn back into the tank. Breather extensions will easily solve the problem and you don't need to go to huge expense. The extensions won't be under pressure so you don't need an elaborate system. Just one that will stand up to the corregations etc.

One solution I've seen is to drill out the breather hole and screw in a plastic reticulation fitting, then fit a hose to this and run it up high, say next to the filler hole or inside the van. At the top end, use another retic fitting, this time one of the small fine sprinkler nozzles. This allows the system to breath and prevents any creepy crawlies getting into the breather line.

Hope this helps, Melissa
AnswerID: 8642

Sponsored Links