Road Closure - Long Plain Road NSW ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 14, 2005 at 23:52
ThreadID: 23881 Views:7495 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I went for a drive over the weekend and had hoped to go down to Tantangara Reservoir from Canberra via the Long Plain Road.

Unfortunately it was closed - does any one know if this is a temporary closure for winter or permanent. I have seen a notice - old one, that it was for winter but can never tell these days.

There is a sign at the start but we had hoped to get down a bit but couldn't as ran into a closed gate as well.

One other question does any one know the status of the land between the road and the river along this road.

We stopped there for lunch at a place by the road- there was a fire going (controlled) and no one around. We used it and had plans of putting it out when we finished.

Before we had a farmer (or local) and his kids came along and were not to polite, particulary the snarling girl, about us being there and indicated it was private property. The road was closed but no signs of private property present and no fence. We were next to the river about 50 feet from the road. Happy to say sorry if we were in the wrong but we were not doing any damage and left the place in as good a condition as it was when we arrived - minus the open fire.

Incidently the fire was started by one of his kids who had left it burning (and I think they had returned to put it out). After a short discussion and an indication that we would put it out he left us there. Spoiled a pleasant afternoon.

Any way interested in any info re this,
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:11

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:11
G'day Richard,

closed for winter, see post 23713 for some extra info.
AnswerID: 115816

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:29

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 07:29
I think you will find that the road is closed full time at the Brindabella Valley end.

To get to Long Plain you have to continue on towards Tumut and turn off onto Boundry Road, then TR under the power lines, left at the next junction and right back onto Boundry Road. Next TL onto Broken Cart FT till you hit Long Plain Road then TR.

You can turn left here and head back towards Brindabella and camp at Perkins Flat a good camp area right on the river.
AnswerID: 115818

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:47

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:47
yep, my error. thanks Well 55.
FollowupID: 371408

Reply By: Member - Bernard - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:10
Richard,

Sorry to hear about your spoilt afternoon. It's a real problem when insufficient information is sign-posted to tell you about the why and wherefore of the road closure.

Equally distressing to have a run-in with rude and unpleasant locals. You should have told "snarling girl" not to speak to an adult until she's spoken to first. Although, that would probably have upset the daddy of the spoilt darling!

Bernard
AnswerID: 115874

Reply By: Member - Richard- Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:48

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 19:48
Hi to all,
Thanks for the replies. Was a pitty as we never made it to our destination but then again I doubt we would have had the time.

Will give it ago another time with suggestions above.

I guess the girl was following her fathers example.

I suppose if they got to stroppy we could have reminded them of leaving an unattended fire for a fair time (although fairly controlled but still good enough to cook a few snags and boil a billy).

Will just put it down to experience and thank my self lucky I was not at home and was out and about.

Thanks again,
Richard
AnswerID: 115919

Sponsored Links