Camping at Green Patch

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:01
ThreadID: 23883 Views:7416 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We had a great weekend, hope you all did also. This was a great place for kids, soft campers ( hot water showers and push button toilets) and anyone who enjoys the bush, beach and Australian Flora and Fauna.

Decided to open a "blog" page so I could type it up and share more photos. Would love some comments on it.

The Troopy Travellers at Green Patch

Carolyn
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:27

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:27
Hi Carolyn,

we've been going to Green Patch for years. My wife used to go with her parents when she was little. It's a magnificent place and yes the facilities are ideal for a family. No powered sites, so you are still camping, but flush toilets and hot showers are good.

Summer is a great time as the beach is fantastic. Only problem is it's a ballot system. The photos in my profile are from Green Patch.

We've never been there in winter though, so may give that a go.

Cheers,

Jason.
AnswerID: 115836

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:40

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:40
Forgot to mention that in summer, they have lots of activities for the kids with ranger talks bush cooking, talks about the animals, night walks (spotlighting) etc.

It's in Booderee NP, which is actually not part of NSW. It's run by the Wreck Bay aboriginal community and they run the talks and activities. Uncle Barry takes many of the walks through the bush and has got lots of good stories.

If you can get in at Christmas, it's a top spot for some base camping and as I said, the beach is top shelf.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 115839

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:18

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:18
Thanks for that info, the grandkids would love it. Carolyn
FollowupID: 371532

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:00

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 14:00
Carolyn,

we didn't have any possum problems or kangaroos when we stayed one night in February. Aren't they delightful furry things, eh? A few nice birds in the trees....
AnswerID: 115871

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:22

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:22
I dont think delightful is quite what I thought of them taking my bread!!!! I guess its their way of pay back for all the kids running around "spotting" them at night.

The Troopy loves getting its feet wet.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 371533

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:07

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 15:07
Carolyn,

Jervis Bay is a great spot.

Directly North East of Greenpatch is Long Beach and Honeymoon Bay. Two great spots which are accessible from the road out to the Point Perpendicular Light House.
There's camping at both areas (probably not as flash as Green Patch but none-the-less, adequate).
A great boating spot as well - crystal clear water over white sand.
Best in summer for swimming and because it's on the western side of the Peninsula, is nicely protected from the prevailng North Easterly, which alawys seem to blow up on summer's afternoon.
AnswerID: 115879

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:17

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 07:17
Thanks for the responses, more reasons to ballot for the Christmas holidays then.

Ross do you have to ballot for Long Beach & Honeymoon bay, and not as flash???? Is there push button toilets? We have our own shower system if necessary.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 371531

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:19

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:19
Can't say what the facilities are like. Never stayed there. Mostly visit by boat from Myola or Huskison.

The camping ground could get crowded but the beach, especially Long Beach never seems to.

If you have time it's worth a day trip from Sydney just to have a look. I love it.
FollowupID: 371607

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:43

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:43
Carolyn,

We camped at Honeymoon many years ago and there were no showers and just port-a-loos shipped in for the weekend. That could have changed.

There used to be a ballot just for the big weekends like Easter and Australia Day but that too could have changed It will almost certainly be busier now than it was then.

Also Honeymoon gets closed when the Navy are bombing on the range which you have to travel through to get there.

Very pretty spot could lose some appeal if it was crouded but I could be tempted back without too much trouble.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 116018

Follow Up By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:23

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 13:23
Never seen it closed for the Navy, but have seen the area closed-off for Fox baiting.
FollowupID: 371608

Sponsored Links