Round trip in 15 weeks

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2390 Views:1741 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Could those who have done the round trip - Qld/NT/WA/SA/NSW - give us some feedback on the feasibility of covering the main treks without undue haste in a 15-week period from early July till late October 2003. My wife and I are towing an off-road caravan with a diesel Landcruiser and are self-contained. We plan a more leisurely trip at a later date but want to make an initial circuit to see the West Coast and to keep in mind what to see next time. If anyone else is planning a similar trip we would be glad to hear from them.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00
WOW that distance in that amount of time. You will basically spend all the time travelling, eating, drinking and sleeping. "Undue hast" hmmm not plausable. Anything is possible, just depends on what you wan to see and do, and what your main interests are. Last time I did it took us 18 months.
AnswerID: 8633

Follow Up By: Adrian Walker - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks, Oziexplorer, for the feedback. 18 months sounds leisurely and we may get that opportunity later on.
Having reflected on the options we may well do the shorter trips to Qld and SA first and then head straight for the West Coast the following year with more time to spend there.
FollowupID: 4294

Reply By: paul - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

completely agree as above, i went round on a motorcycle a few years ago, stopped to work for only 5 weeks, whole trip took me seven months and i could not go everywhere i wanted to cause it was a roadbike. To go "round" would not be comfortable in 15 weeks (though i understand the record is 7 days on a Kawasaki Z1300 - basically speeding and not stopping except for fuel, feed and sleep). though if you took shortcuts - ie, went up the centre of Qld and down the Plenty highway into NT and then up the Tanami into WA and down the coast on the bitumen you could theoretically do "NSW/QLD/WA" in about four weeks but you would see bugger all coast or none of the main attractions of the regions other than from on the tracks.
AnswerID: 8635

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

(though i understand the record is 7 days on a Kawasaki Z1300)

Under 6 now! Shame there is no offical record as it involves speeding and speed to stay awake!
FollowupID: 4217

Paul,
Your suggestion about the "shortcuts" sounds interesting - but not as a quick route to somewhere else. They are the sort of treks that deserve a trip of their own later on. Fortunately, my wife and I are about to retire so time to travel will be an important part of our retirement. Breaking records is certainly not on the agenda.
FollowupID: 4295

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Adrian,

Haven't done THE BIG TRIP yet, but have travelled most of the main treks and lived in 4 states. You couldn't do the trip you are planning in 15 weeks without haste. Theoretically, of course you can cover the distance but you'd have to forgo the leisurely stopovers and late breakfasts :o( Remember too, that once you get off road your travel pace will go down (well, it should) so there'll be days when you won't get far on the map. Just a suggestion, why don't you skip those places closer to home and use this 15 weeks to cover the further places. Then you can get back to the one's you skipped when you get annual leave etc.

Regards, Melissa
AnswerID: 8644

Melissa,
We talked about your suggestion to see the closer destinations on separate trips and decided it was a much better way to go as we do not want to be away from home for long periods at this stage. In fact, as we are just about to make our first trip after retiring we thought that the closer States are the places to start.
FollowupID: 4296

Sponsored Links