98 Jackaroo Diesel leaking rear main seal

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 21:59
ThreadID: 23908 Views:2280 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi

is there anything good on the market to try and stop a leaking rear main oil seal?

Ta
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:38

Wednesday, Jun 15, 2005 at 23:38
Yep, a new rear main seal.

DOH! (I hear you say).

I'm not aware of anything, and trust me putting a thicker oil in won't help. The only thing that can slow it while you save the pennies from my experience would be to run the oil at about 3/4 full. Give's you a little less oil pressure, stops it squirting it out so bad. We've got a small Daihatsu in the family that has had a fairly sevre leaking main for about 2 years now and as long as we keep the oil down a tad it barley even leaks at all, if you fill her up it buckets out! I imagine it would also make the leak worse while the pressure is high...

Anyway, I hope someone else has got a solution, otherwise you might as well save up the extra and get a new clutch while it's all out...
AnswerID: 115976

Reply By: darcla - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:16

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 10:16
Hi . 1 Just a little bit from personal experience it is quite likely the sump seal as it is only sealed with a silastic type compound .
2. If it is the seal only have it replaced with genuine seal which requires a special pusher tool to fit it . The experience I had was to have it replaced by a local normally very competent workshop using non genuine seals was done 3 times including sump off once while motor still in vehicle .(not recommended). Then had it done by Local G.M.H dealer , another $1800 later . so all up over 3 grand to stop an oil leak . That really hurts when you are an X diesil mechanic who neither has the health or equipment to handle the job today.
Cheers Bungarra .
AnswerID: 116004

Follow Up By: twocan1 - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:56

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:56
Hi

I'll have a good look on the weekend and see whats there. Putting my head under the car quickly the other night, it seemed to be coming out of the hole in the bellhousing motor joint.

FollowupID: 371600

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:58

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:58
Twocan1,

That sounds like the rear main. I was fortunate, in a way, mine went when I wa on hols. The first indicator I got was a slipping clutch. When it was opened up it had contaminated the clutch plate, which needed changing anyway, and the flywheel. It ended up being a very big job and I was glad the mechanic I gave it to knew what he was doing.

That was in 96, I have since moved into the town where it went and that same mechanic sees my car every 5000kms. The $1800.00 quoted above seems about right. Suck it in and put your hand in your pocket. It's safer in the long run.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 116057

Sponsored Links