OME Dakar Suspension

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 20:53
ThreadID: 23926 Views:2535 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What is quality and performance of the OME Dakar torsion bars and leaf springs like?
It is a toss up between them and Tough Dog. Has anyone got ideas of which are better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 22:18

Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 at 22:18
Since they only got released recently, I'd doubt anyone has got any practical experience yet.

I fitted ARB all round to the 79series, and had the choice between the Aussie made springs and the Asian made Dakar and paid the extra for the Aussie made ones. No great reason apart from being keen to have the best.

A mate also got the Dakar on his 78 series and they look fine, and he's happy so far.

I'm sure ARB did their homework on these springs.

Cheers
Phil
2002 HDJ79R
AnswerID: 116074

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:56

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 08:56
OME have a good reputation, I've used the products in the past and been very happy. The Dakar is the budget line and you need to take that into consideration... Obviously the quality and longevity may differ from the OME standard suspension components, otherwise they wouldn't be cheaper... Also I googled around for a while and could only find reference to Dakar leaf spring kits, no mention of a Dakar torsion bar. You may find on a torsion bar vehicle, it would be best to use components of like quality... Matching tough as nails tarsion bars to budget leafs may not work out that well... I'm not even close to claiming expert status here, just my thoughts.

Hopefully someone else can be a little more help to you.

Blue
AnswerID: 116113

Reply By: ADM - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 15:58

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 15:58
I have a good friend who works at ARB in the R&D department and he informs me the are just as good as the original OME, over time you think ARB would drop the OME line eventually for most people will but the Dakar suspension based on price. If they were to do this Im sure they would not put an inferior product on the market.
AnswerID: 116163

Reply By: Dinga - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 22:17

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 22:17
As far as I know, the Dakar range of OME springs actually use the same Australian steel as standard ones the only difference being that they are manufactured in Asia where manufacturing costs are considerably less.
AnswerID: 117620

Sponsored Links