Birdsville Races

Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 12:59
ThreadID: 23939 Views:1903 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of going to the Birdsville races in September and am looking for information about the road from Windorah to Birdsville. I have been told that it is graded prior to the races and is usually in fair condition.

I tow an "on road" 14 ft Jayco Freedom Pop top.

Has anyone had any experience travelling this road at this time of year and do you think it would be suitable for a careful caravanner.

Brian DJ

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 16:27

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 16:27
Hi Brian, it's a very good dirt road - wide and usually is graded prior to the Races. There will be a lot of traffic on the road at that time and lots of caravans and camper trailers travel it. Try and stay at Windorah the night before so that when you tackle the dirt section - there is 100 klms bitumen west of Windorah - you are fresh and not fatigued. Also if you travel in the a.m. you don't have the afternoon sun in your eyes. Make sure you reduce your tyre pressure a little on the car and van to allow movement in the tyres on the stones. Cover the back windscreen of your vehicle with carboard/something to stop the deflected stones from breaking the back windscreen and make sure you have spare tyres for the car and van. Happy travelling.
AnswerID: 116165

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 23:56

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 23:56
we did it a few years ago in a panelvan just a 2wd dirt road
AnswerID: 116219

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:25

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 10:25
Sure! Stay the nite at Windorah.Good van park,Hotel & restruant..Don't travel at nite there..Amazing number of "road kill"..Every 100yards,sometimes 2 'roos at once.Mite be ok if they have some real rain..Keep your eye out for sign to JC Hotel ruins..Worth a look..Is on right hand side just off blacktop..Watch the deeper wheel tracks just before ruins.Birdsville van park is great.Contact email: birdsvillecvanpk@growzone.com.au Suggest better book. I would go out again just to see the "Birdsville Working Museum".Magic! Helps? RockyOne (I did it in Mits 1ton 4x2)
FollowupID: 371791

Reply By: arofs1 - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:12

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:12
Thanks Ruth and RockyOne, your information was relevant, accurate and appreciated.

I also posted on another furum, and after considering the information look like being at the races, with the van.

Ruth, I will contact direct when everything is finalized.

Brian DJ
AnswerID: 116247

Sponsored Links