HF autotune antenna mount

Submitted: Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 17:35
ThreadID: 23941 Views:5821 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Mounting the HF autotune antenna is a bit tricky because of legislative considerations , RF interference and propagation issues, protecting the antenna from damage and theft, and mechanical stability.

People used to always mount the antenna on the front crowd control bar, but here it attracts police attention in some parts, and is prone to damage in even the mildest frontal collision.

Mounting on the roof is too high, and the whip will foul branches and roadhouse rooves, not to mention the overhead cement slab in multilevel carparks.

That pretty much leaves the back of the vehicle. It is possible to use the spare wheel mounting points, and there are brackets available that use these. I believe they cost about $150. I made one from a strip of heavy bracket steel and it worked better than it looked. I used it for a tapped whip, but I thought the extra weight of the autotune would be too much for it.

So the solution I have adopted is to mount it in the Hayman Reese towing slot. I was going to buy the steel and make it up but I just bought a towing hitch (with a long stem and a long offset flange) and bolted the antenna mount where the tow ball should go. The flange faces upwards to raise the base of the antenna. Security is improved with a locked cable running from the safety chain loop through the base of the antenna. The earth strap connects to the chassis. The control and RF cables run out the back door.

The problem with this simple setup is that it has to be removed to open the rear door (pretty easy but inconvenient). The next developement will be to mount the antenna on a heavy duty hinge so that it can fold down to the side below rear door height. The hinge will have a spring loaded locking pin.

Apart from having someone run up my date, the antenna is in a comparatively safe position. No need to leave it on for town use. When I travel with the trailer I just mount it on the trailer instead.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 18:59

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 18:59
Bob, there are also some s/h Telstra mounts availiable if you can find them. These attach to the top and bottom of the barn door with the a/t in the middle.
A mob in SA also make custom mounts up. They are good quality and reasonably cheap.
The security aspect can be addressd much better in my view by using one of the locking nuts on the market. If you unscrew the mounting bolt it can easily shear off even a lock through the security mounting hole. Mate of mine made one up for me, now even a bolt cutter won't help a thief.
AnswerID: 116174

Reply By: Terryfied - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 20:09

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 20:09
Bob,I went to a small engineering firm not far from where I live and for the cost of $35 theymade one to fit the spare wheel mount.It has had some rough treatment and still holds the autotune well.
I have a problem with some of the costs associated with 4wdriving for some fairly simple brackets and holders etc.The bracket was made from 20mm square tube with 3mm wall and a plate 13mm thick, all this was just offcuts the firm had in their bins.

Terry
AnswerID: 116181

Reply By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:39

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:39
Hey Bob,

Here are some pics of a bracket I made up for one of the forum members to mount his Codan Autotune on at the rear of his toyo 100. I reckon it came out really good and is as strong as because it is bolted to the chassis rails and the bumper bar internal brackets. Anyway a picture tells a thousand words.

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

[ View Image]

Regards

Stuart.
AnswerID: 116198

Reply By: angler - Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:46

Friday, Jun 17, 2005 at 21:46
I have used a spare wheel mount on two different vehicles so far. There is a picture on my web site
link text
Select the "of interest" link then "lock it up" I realise the cable around the Codan would not be much use but you get the idea. This is the same mount I used on the disco modified to fit the Patrol. I am going to fit a tube security system on the threaded bit shortly.

Pooley
AnswerID: 116200

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:52

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 07:52
Antenna mount for GQ Patrol

If anyone is looking to mount one on a GQ I have a bracket made to go between the spare wheel and the rear door, including the high tensile threaded rods to mount it. It would hold a tapped whip just as well and has a second mounting point in case you want to put your UHF back there as well.

It basically acts as a spacer between the door and the spare wheel mounting bracket, with a tab off the side for the antenna mount. With a 9350 on it the height it sits at keeps the whip clear of the vehicle while the expensive bit is protected from trees and passing branches by the cab.

It was made for a bloke in Sydney who is a comms equip dealer for his own vehicle and did tens of thousands of km without a problem. Another 11,000 km including the corrugations of the Tanami and it's still like the day it was made.

I bought it to put my HF into a mate's GQ Patrol to do the Canning and now that the trip is over it is no longer required.

PM me if you are interested.

Dave
AnswerID: 116227

Reply By: Member - Ross (ACT) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:25

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:25
Bob,

Have you spoken with Australian 4wd Storqage and Accessories in Adelaide. They make purpose built HF antenna bases. Contact them on (08) 8250 2365

Regards
Ross
AnswerID: 116328

Sponsored Links