Buying Nokia 6255 Bluetooth (Ext antenna ? )

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 09:33
ThreadID: 23955 Views:2095 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are getting ner CDMAs week starting 20-6-05 As we are at Emerald,Central Qld need to use well off main roads and well away from towns..Anyone got this phone and working ok ? My phone will use the Bluetooth to update info by wirless to / from my 3 Macs as all info sits on a iDisc somwhere in the world.(Besides the resident iDisc on my machines incl little iBook)..Used to have different info each computer..Now Apple's iSync auto-updates all info on ea machine soon as connected to web.First time in my life I have almost become organised..A hoping to be able to use car kit and external antenna..Getting 4 new phones will half our present costs..Crazy! Have fun RockyOne!MPG:6!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: davidta - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:18

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 15:18
Hi

As far as I know, the Nokia 6255 or any other Nokia CDMA phone currently on the market, incorporates a true external antenna connection.
The only way is a reradiating antenna. Some sort of work, some actually give you less signal.
I am still using my antique 6385 & have another that I was given, ready to go when mine dies for just this reason. Also I have car kits in all 3 of my cars for this phone. None of the whiz bang features though.

Cheers

David
AnswerID: 116248

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 23:28

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 23:28
Hi RockyOne,

I have just checked the specs out on the Nokia website for the 6255 and it doesn't seem to have the provision for an external antenea, even the proximity type. The web site isn't too clear, but due to the flip design the antenae position "moves" as the phone opens, hence no factory option (best to confirm with a dealer).

In my experience, the range difference with and without an external broomstick antenae is HUGE (estimate 30km vs 90 km from phone tower - depends on terrain).

While I reckon the features of the 6255 look great, IMHO better to get a 6225 if you want extended range.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 116308

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:05

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:05
Thanks David & Captain,Post elsewhere on this forum would appear to indicate Nokia are ultra-consertive re ext-antennas,even when end users are getting vastly improved,potentially,lifesaving increases in range from 6.5dbi sticks..Looks like we will go where the action is,the 6225..Range is the 1st,2nd,3rd critera..Have fun guys.Thanks RockyOne (My old CDMA Ericsson A1228c is close to in-destructable,but too big now.Been dropped so much,I have to bask it,not hit,to get it going,then it goes all day.I now only buy shirts,work style,cotton,that have work sixe pockets with buttoned flaps.No more dropped phones..Can't wear on belt as highly vuleranable as I always seem to be lifting things,leaning over mudguards etc.)
FollowupID: 371862

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 17:55

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 17:55
i have the 6255 and whileit has all the bells and whistles i dont like the flip out design this is mostly why the antenna extends , also i have lost the battery case which slides off way to easy in normal use for my liking and because the cases werent in stock at the time the back fell off and was promptly ran over by a mad melbourne market forklift!!!!grrrrrrrr.
any way love the irda nd bluetooth capabilites it has and i just got a bluetooth dong off ebay for 25 big ones which will help sync with the puter for needful things like filling up the media card with crap.
but would be good on the road for linking to the web which is what i will be doing later on down the track.

you should check out antenna boosting i seem to remember truckster talking about a 30% increase some guy in new zealand got .

do a post search.
cheers
AnswerID: 116575

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:18

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:18
Hi Toonfish,You werent as lucky as me with my first mobile after my "bag phone"..I was riding my Yammy Virago 1100 at 100k & felt a object hit my leg.As my Nikon was hanging on strap,thought it was only lens cap..Next day at work I got a call from a bank johnny in Longreach 400k away.He had my phone.I did'nt even know I lost it.I thought I left it on kitchen table as usual.Still worked..He was driving 2 cars back from me.Saw it fall.Front car almost did 'the forklift job" Thanks that info..I will check out those "faults" before purchase and can always fall back on the proven 6225 less bluetooth..I got a Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter,100meter range,wireless.App $49 I think..Have yet to use it..Will be fun. www.belkin.com Should get feedback this forum re ext-ant soon..Thks again..Regards RockyOne
FollowupID: 372172

Sponsored Links