Off Road Trailer Manufacturers

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:36
ThreadID: 23973 Views:6136 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Evening all,
We've finally got to the point of getting some quotes for our much awaited for camper trailer. We're getting the trailer built to our specs if possible and then we'll get the tent added once its finished. We have received a few prices but havent been very impressed with the response from the companies so far, they dont seem very interested in building a one off unit, especially at a reasnable price. The question I had was, can anyone suggest a good reputable trailer manufacturer they can suggest. Not after the cheap nasty ones but dont wish to be paying this thing off till Moses returns. Have checked several previous postings and found several mentioned dealers no longer seam to exist or arent within a reasnoble distance to ACT so figured it easier to ask a fresh.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Boo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:41

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:41
If they are building a custom 1 off unit, you cant expect it to be cheap...
AnswerID: 116295

Follow Up By: Boo - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:44

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 21:44
Under no dilusion that it will be cheap, just dont want to be paying more for it than I really should. Quite happy to be paying extra to get what we want as far as setup goes.
FollowupID: 371846

Reply By: Alex H - Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 23:23

Saturday, Jun 18, 2005 at 23:23
G'day,
probably not what you're after, but I bought a heavy duty 6x4 box trailer from Papas trailers in WA (but I guess hte make isn't that important) and being kinda handy with a welder built a subframe under it to lift it another six inches, extended the drawbar and replaced the slipper springs with a trailing arm and coil spring setup running an axle to match the car.
Cheers, Alex.
AnswerID: 116306

Reply By: Boo - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:59

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 08:59
Thanks for the replies so far, at this stage it would be preferable to have the trailer manufactured ready for use. Boo already has far too many incomplete projects around here, he doesn't need any more.

We would really be interested in any suggested manufacturers pretty much any where in the NSW/VIC areas.

We're not after a cheap price just a far price, prepared to pay for what we want, just feel that buying off the shelf type trailers, whilst they are good don't have a lot of features and your still paying over $5000 for most of them. So feel if we are going to spend that sort of money on a trailer we may as well spend a bit more and get what we want.

Any suggestions of manufacturers you have dealt with or even just know of would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mrs Boo
AnswerID: 116323

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:56

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:56
What sort of features did you want over the expected HD box 7 X 5 with leaf springs etc ? Shocks ? - kitchen ? - jerry holders ? tool boxes - water tank ? Might give forumites an idea on who they know in that sector. There are hoards of small companies now making flip over hard and soft floor campers with quite a few options - would not one of them meet your specs ? Plenty of them advertise in the back pages of the 4WD type magazines - saw them in the library the other day.
It just might be that your custom plan, with quality tent added later may not be much cheaper than a well optioned current package from one of these makers.
I'm talking in terms of experience with the soft floor HD camper we had previously to our current Campomatic.
AnswerID: 116334

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:59

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 12:59
A new mag out by caravan world , campertrailer guide ,strictly campertrailers $5.95 at your news agent ,very comprehensive as all major and bulk minor c/t makers reviewed ,,only place ever seen our c/t maker reviewed/ advertised [pacific trailers ].
AnswerID: 116367

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 16:43

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 16:43
I had my off road trailer built by 'MAK Trailers' at Minchinberry a couple of years ago. A good solid trailer and at the time built to what I wanted. Sorry I can't remember their number but they were in near the big cars yards there.

I am now modifying it to take a tent etc - which will be next years project.

Their is also 'Holiday Trailers' in / near Fairfield.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 116388

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:46

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:46
Can't remember this guys name or anything but he was building nice looking trailers a few years ago and was willing to do custom work.

Heading south over Tarren Point bridge turn first left and he is on your right about 100m down. The 4wd Service Centre is opposite the end of the street.

Pretty vague but hope it helps.

BTW I own a Trak Shak and love it. Very strong trailer and comfy camper with heaps of space.

Duncs
AnswerID: 116476

Reply By: ozidave - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:27

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 20:27
I had a trailer custom made by Great Western Trailers at Granville a few years ago. The work was good for a heavy duty 7x4 box trailer and the price was right.
AnswerID: 116602

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:47

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:47
OBriens in Melbourne build just Offroad Trailers (as well as CT's etc). Moggs bought his from there quite recently I think.
AnswerID: 116664

Follow Up By: Moggs - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:51
Hi there flappa.

Yes, I did get an O'brien's there recently (see rig pics). It is a great unit, however they are not cheap. If you want to get something akin to mine you won't get much change out of $5k. I decided to go the O'brien's route as I was very impressed with John at O'brien's and also because they do custom work to your exact requirements. He didn't try and sell me stuff that I didn't need - and even talked me out of a few things I thought I needed - which was good as he could have easily just taken the money and done the work.
FollowupID: 372177

Reply By: ROTORD - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 03:10

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 03:10
Hello Boo

Visited O'Briens and was most impressed .All his campers are custom made in that the camper track is matched to your vehicles track , and wheels are matched .Content is then to your requirements .His concept of 'off road' is very interesting and probably unique . All his campers are strong . His off road campers are then made lighter without sacrificing strength .The extra cost is in more expensive materials to save weight .His workmanship is first class so no need to supervise the building and I would expect his campers would hold their value well .
AnswerID: 117181

Reply By: Boo - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:18

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:18
Thanks for all the advice, will follow up on them and let you know the results.

Boo
AnswerID: 117208

Sponsored Links