october run

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 17:09
ThreadID: 23997 Views:1802 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday All,
taking a run out west in october,syd-lake cargelligo(d1),-Broken Hill via willandra nat park(as suggested on the site)-Ivanhoe-Menindee(d2)Then a question on track conditions & realistic time frame on the border track up to camerons corner.Also any suggestions on things to look at in the area.Time frame for trip 8 days.Regards Trent.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:28

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:28
Your day 2 sounds a bit rushed: Lake Cargelligo to BH via Willandra and Ivanhoe to Menindee won't give you much time to look at anything. Don't know if you have time but when in Lake Cargelligo pop round to Murrin Bridge Aboriginal Community's vineyard for a case of their excellent shiraz/chardonnay/semillon, and if it's a weekend to the Cafe Melaleuca at Euabalong - both are only a few k's from LC.
Don't know about the border track to Cameron Corner, I always take the fast road to Tibooburra. The pubs in Tibooburra and Milparinka are essential, as are the various historic sites around Milparinka. It's all just about doable in 8 days if you're in a hurry but watch out for rain north of BH: you could easily be holed up for a few days if there's a downpour. You don't say anything about your intended return route, but I'd suggest White Cliffs-Wilcannia, or Tibooburra to Tilpa.
AnswerID: 116459

Reply By: Member - John (Bathurst) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:36

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 22:36
Hi Trent
My first post John's away trying to ern a little extra to pay for our fuel for our 6 week trip to western QLD. in Aug
The old homested and shearing shed are well worth seeing at Willandra NP Say Hi to Ross the ranger ,you can continue to Ivanhoe via back roads (good last year) though Trida (dont blink) you will pass though the sheep station where I grow up, they have just had 3 1/2 in rain so the country should be looking good for thr first time in 4 years.
The road from B H to Camerons Corner was good (June last year) part black top and dirt Must Do MUTAWINTJI NP good camping (own firewood, sola hot showers)
Guided tours of the historic site on Wed & Sat at 11am Fee apply but well worth it
(ph 0880087000)
Good camping at Fort Grey and Dead Horse Gully Sturt NP Gass BBQ (Wood fires are prohibites) Visitor Centre in Tibooburra well worth a visit also both Pub's
We called at White Cliffs on the way back and stayed at the underground Motel that was also good value
If you would like any further information let me know
have a great trip
John's Cook
AnswerID: 116462

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:14

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 23:14
Bundy,

I live in the Hill

Did the run east via Menindee and Ivanhoe in Jan 03. Men to Ivanhoe was very rough, it usually is. We had been on the road for 7 hrs when I got bogged just east of Matakana on the Kidman Way. WIthout the bogging would have done BH to Condobolin in 8hrs. No sight seeing.

You can't drive the border track north from BH to Camerons it is not for public access. There are a number of possible routes heading N from Silverton that are more interesting than the Highway but the highway is pretty interesting itself. Either way a visit to Milparinka is a must and a drive out through the MT Brown goldfields is worthwhile too.

When in Tib visit everything, it's not that big and it is worth having a good look at the whole town.

East of Tib is Mt Wood National Park wrth a visit and there is accomodation available in the old homestead, contact National Parks

Also allow some time in BH there is more to see than you probably realise. Give the Visitor Info a call for more detailed information. 08 8087 6077.

Duncs
AnswerID: 116470

Reply By: Member - Trent H (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:49

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 18:49
thanks all for your input.regards trent.
AnswerID: 117944

Sponsored Links