low rage mystery in 60 series

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 19:53
ThreadID: 24003 Views:2273 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi formies

was doing a 4x4 course with my wife over the weekend and the strangest thing happened late sunday afternoon.

we was driving through a quogmire and was having difficulty the instructor noticed that the front wheels were not driving but the back were spinning in the mud.

it was like i was in two wheel drive.

well we drove out and i hopped underneath and tried to turn the front prop by hand it would not turn.

i then took it out of 4wd and still the front prop would not turn by hand.
i then unlocked the hubs and it turned.
engaged 4wd and the prop wouldnt turn.

well this to me just proved the diff was ok and the front low rage gear was engaged.

so we took it over to a slippery slope and i watch as my wife took it up to the point that make the wheels spin in low rage the rear slipped and spun but not the front and we could see the front prop wasnt moving.

so we backed of went into high rage and did the same this time the front and rear wheels slipped and spun.

so we backed of put it in low range again and tried this time we got the front and rear wheels to spin in low range.

when we was driving we were in low range for most of the day. we know this by the drive being slow as you exspect in low 1 before it was noticed that my front wheels were not driving both hubs locked in.

does anyone know what would cause this or what the problem might be.

have driven many times out in the bush with the club and never had this before.
if anyone could shead some light i would be grateful.

my wife put it in low range and i checked it was before we started the morning tasks.

cheers

Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:03

Sunday, Jun 19, 2005 at 21:03
Not the first time this has come up on here and also has happened to me. It is to do with your low range linkages some I think are adjustable. Before beach work I would jump out to get the extra pulling power and jam it down hard then across into low hard then jump underneath with the hubs unlocked and confirm it was in.
Your story reminds me of my very first attempt at beach driving where I went straight down. I was thinking this 4wd biz isnt as much fun as it looks until the problem was tracked down. you have no internal problems just linkages
AnswerID: 116430

Reply By: Darryn - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:16

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:16
Hi Graham, as Dave said the Hi-Lo range shifter could need adjusting or it could be the 4WD selector in the transfer case itself. There is a slotted plate that can wear and allow the drive to the front axle to jump out. This happened to a mate of mine on a trip through Wonnangatta/Talbotville areas once and his 60 Series was jumping in and out of Low Range going down Zeka Spur. At first we thought it was the truck slipping in the mud on the track but the next day I drove it up the Crooked River track and then up Bulltown Spur and we discovered exactly what was happening. Fortunatly he had not long brought it and the dealer repaired it under warranty. The repair for this could be pricey as it is a gearbox/transfer out and complete strip down to repair. Find a good 4WD shop and get a few quotes. Also don't be surprised to find anything else wrong when its pulled appart.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 116485

Follow Up By: mcgra (VIC) - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:03

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 18:03
thanks Guys

the gear box and trans were rebuilt 20 month ago, so i hpe its something like the linkage.

i have noticed that there is a mark on the lever rod that shows it has been rubbing against a part of the staberliser arm that allows the piviots of the rod. (best way i can explain it)

also there was a cable sleeve in the way that was or looked to be getting squashed stopping full travel of the lever.

i will ckeck the linkage out on the weekend to be sure.

how do i know if the adjustment is to much or do i have to suck it and see and then keep changing till it works ok.

cheers

graham
FollowupID: 372089

Follow Up By: Darryn - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:13

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:13
Hi again Graham, if the linkages are jammed by this cable sleeve then that is probably the cause. Many years ago a friend couldn't get Low 4X4 in his FJ 55 and discovered a stone jammed between the linkages and the Transfer Case. As has been said there isn't much movement between in and out of Low 4X4. Hope the cable is the only problem.
Regd's Darryn
FollowupID: 372192

Reply By: ToyMotor - Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:50

Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 19:50
A common cause of the 60 series transfer slipping out of 4wd is end-play (or lack of pre-load) in the rear output bearing in the transfer case. It's set with shims. If the shaft moves slightly under load, the clutch sleeve (I think that's what it's called) "walks" along the shaft and drops the front shaft out of gear. I drove a couple of hundred kays one rainy day on a muddy track, with a mate holding the lever like grim death. Every time it dropped out we were all over the place, the lever only seems to move about 3mm and it's out of 4wd. If this is the cause, it's an easy fix, no need to take anything out!

Cheers

ps Did you know you can change the idler shaft in a 60 transfer case while it's in the car?
AnswerID: 116593

Sponsored Links