Lovells Springs + Koni Shocks GU Patrol

Submitted: Monday, Jun 20, 2005 at 22:48
ThreadID: 24033 Views:5404 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
had a $1430 quote for Lovells springs and Koni shocks in my Patrol apparently providing a 25mm - 30mm lift. (Which is fine with me, I'm not looking for real extra height) I know from other posts Koni are good equipment but don't know much about the springs

WA suspensions in Perth do them. I have used this mob before and can say only good things. Has any one out there used this set up on their patrol? if so...what do you think?

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 00:07
Hi Andrew,

I have Koni shocks + King springs on my GU, giving ~ 40mm lift.

So I can't comment on the springs other than I've heard Lovells are very good. I also thought WA Suspensions gave good advice when I spoke to them. I went with King springs because I was able to get my suspension at trade via Wilkinson Suspension in Bayswater, which I had a friend fit for me. There are so many spring combinations that it's easy to get confused, however I found that both WA Suspensions and Wilkinsons both asked some good questions to gain an understanding of vehicle needs, so I think you'd be fine with their recommendation. I went for nominal 2" fixed rate on front and 2" progressive rate on the rear. As I mentioned above, this only gave me ~ 40mm but that is what I was told in advance and suits me.

The Koni shocks have been an excellent addition, particularly on the corrugation. The GU shocks are long travel and I am amazed by their stroke, enough for the springs to just come out of tension but not loose. They are adjustable, however I installed at factory setting (softest setting) and find they are good for me. I read a post a while back stating to start soft and work up as they age. Nothing stopping making them firmer straight away - all a matter of preference.

I am happy with my set-up, certainly better than std. I haven't experience with anything else, though I'm sure there are lots of opinions out there.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 116638

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:29

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:29
Thanks Hugh...sounds good.
FollowupID: 372242

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:19

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 07:19
Ask Roachie, he has Lovells and i am sure he got a bigger lift than 25-30mm. He used to run Koni's too but now has TJM XGS's.
AnswerID: 116649

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:13

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:13
Hi Brew69
Sorry for hijackiing Hugh.

Whats the story behind the b'stone letting go and causing the damage. Many people rate them vg?

Andy
FollowupID: 372229

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:28
About 6 months ago i was travelling a modest 80km/h on a main road in the city when the Dueller let get withna bang. It had spent some time on the back door as a spare but had travelled a mere 8000km or less.The tread was near new but because it was out of date Bridgestone would not help me out with a replacement. My arguement was that it was still a brand new tyre but they would not buy it. Anyway it was their loss as in April i shelled out a Grand on BFG's. Had they come to the party i would be driving around with new Bridgstones and singing their praises. But they didn't get my money....instead they get bagged by me and anyone who looks at my pics gets to see what i think of them. It was a lazy $2k damage.(covered by insurance but still cost me excess) Its a shame really because when people sing a companys praises people remember but not nearly as much as they remember the bad things.
FollowupID: 372235

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:14
Sorry Andrew
AnswerID: 116746

Reply By: ginga - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 17:14
I have Lovells on a 95 series Prado & have nothing but praise for them.

Whatever you do, buy whatever you buy from an expert as they will put together the BEST package of springs & shocks for your APPLICATION.

Good luck
AnswerID: 116747

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:25

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:25
Yep I have Lovell’s form WA suspensions as well, Happy with the sprig’s and happy with the service they provided.

Just remember to ask them at what hight the spring's will settle at, as you may only get 20mm in the end.
AnswerID: 116758

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:27
Have you got the Koni's as well?

And how would you describe the overall benifit of the Lovell's on and off road?

Cheers
FollowupID: 372240

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:14
No have not put Koni’s on YET, Will wait till the original shocks begin to play up.
But Garth the guy I dealt with did say that Koni was the shock they had fitted to a lot of explorers with Original ford suspension and people were very happy with the improvement.

The springs are excellent, I felt the deferens on the first corner after I picked it up. The ride is smooth but not harsh, clearly any improvement in ride height is a good thing (especially on a Explorer). Off road the care handles a lot better the rear end is a lot more solid when on gravel and corrugations. Rocky climbs, ruff tracks, beach work, rut’s/ washouts it feels a lot more surefooted and I can spend less time thinking and more time doing.

You are in a patrol so it may not be that much different apart from the increase in ride height and a smoother ride, as the explorer’s have softer suspension settings I felt a big improvement.

I got a 55mm Lift on the back Ended up at about 47mm after settling of the springs and i put the front up 30mm

FollowupID: 372265

Reply By: Member - Glenn D (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:40

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 20:40
Hows it going Andrew,

Have lovells and ranchos 9000x at the moment , ranchos have given up the ghost after a lap of OZ, going for Konis next , have heard they are a good match.

Glenn
AnswerID: 116948

Reply By: DeanoNSW - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 09:53

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 09:53
Mate,

I have this exact set up on my 2003 Patrol. got it installed in Melb in Jan this year - $1350 installed. It gave me 50mm lift overall, but most importantly it handles better when I have a load on, and also handles well unloaded.

I would recommed this set up to you strongly. Lovells and Koni both have good names, and I have had no probs - so far 15000 km down the track.
AnswerID: 117379

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:43

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:43
Thanks Deano....sounds good.

Can you tell me a bit more about how the 'road feel' unloaded is?

The standard set up to me feels quite stiff andbleepy on the road and bouncy off road.

Does your set up make the car feel like it actually has suspension!

and what setting have got the shocks on...soft, medium or hard?

cheers
FollowupID: 372822

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:46

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:46
woops..sent a thread to myself...Derrrrr

Did you do any other mods to the car ie Caster kits etc?

FollowupID: 372823

Reply By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:44

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:44
and...I forgot to ask.

DId you do any other mods like Caster kits or anything?
AnswerID: 117391

Reply By: DeanoNSW - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 15:05

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 15:05
I drive it most of the time unloaded, so like you, this was my main concern. The springs are extra heavy duty, and I 99% sure the Koni's are on medium.

The handling is a little stiffer than the standard. My main concern was whether it would be too stiff unloaded - and the only limitation I has was that my wife told me she would ride in it if it were too uncomfortable. She was more than happy and I am extremely happy. It removes most of the body roll when loaded and unloaded.

MY advice - go for it. If you are not satisfied, you have the option of adjusting the shockers, even though it is a bugger of a job.

AnswerID: 117414

Follow Up By: DeanoNSW - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 15:19

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 15:19
Sorry, forgot to mention that I did not need a castor kit - you prob wont either. I went up 50 mm (initially it was 65 but after a week settled in nicely).

When I got it checked, the caster was no different from prior. I have a set of coopers, and they were new at the same time as the suspension. They have had their 1st rotation, and there is no un-even wear. The car drives straight as well.

Whatever you do - stay away from an ARB store. They will try and upsell you a cator kit even if you don't need it. I got a top quality set up, for the same price as ARB want for their basic OME kit. You'll only end up paying for their new flash showroom and all the flash catalogues.
FollowupID: 372833

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:40

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 19:40
Thanks Deano..I think you've sold me.

And, I had already discounted the idea of the ARB setup.

I am going to post another question on 'Variable' springs so have a look. If you know anything about them, let me know......cheers.
FollowupID: 372856

Sponsored Links