Paint Protecter

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:37
ThreadID: 24047 Views:1993 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I have a faily new Blue nissan patrol and went for a drive in the bush over the weekend and come back with over a thousand scratches, i never thought it would scrath that much i usually have white four wheel drives.

does anyone know if you can get a protective film put over the paint to protect it?

i know there is a roll on film but i am looking for a more perminant one

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:01
You are probably after this stuff...
http://www.cairns.net.au/~signs/bodyguarding.htm
AnswerID: 116674

Reply By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:20
Hi Brent.n, mate not a lot you can do unless you go for the stuff Stan has indicated.Your previous 4wd was probably scratched just as much just you can't notice it on white, that is unless you park it under fluro lights, then boy can't you see it. Dont go for any of that paint protection bullsh@t eg polishes that buff on all that crap, mate use to put that on cars when I worked as pre-delivery manager for toyota,just a jassy polish thats all and pay $400 to $500 for it. They say bird sh@t an stuff doesn't penetrate it load of rubbish.Mate got bird sh@t on it wash it off straight away especially if you have metallic paint Sorry can't be more of a help to you. Take care Vitara
AnswerID: 116681

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:50

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:50
Hi Brent,
I used autoskin for the long weekend on my new lc100. This product is fantastic. It comes in a bottle like PVA glue, with the same consistency. On a clean car, you squirt a liberal amount on the paint work and use a sponge roller to spread. The trick is to spread a first coat, wait 5min or so until it gets a little "tacky" and apply another coat. When it dries, it becomes invisible. However, be aware that when it gets wet, it turns white and can wrinkle. This does not affect the protective properties, it just looks weird. I went bush bashing and at one stage I accidently scraped by a branch I didnt see and thought for sure it would leave a mark. On returning, I peeled off the cover using a garden hose, and then removed some small leftover bits at the local car wash. The car is like new and not one single scratch!!! You can order this on the net.
I cannot recomend this product hgighly enough!!

Hope this helps

PS I used just over half the 1 litre bottle for one aplication.
AnswerID: 116688

Follow Up By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 11:54
Hi Andrew L, mate just went to that website what a brilliant idea. Will be purchasing some of that myself and give it a go. Thanks for that info. Regards Vitara Take care
FollowupID: 372188

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:57

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:57
Dear Brent.n

My experience with the roll on gunk is that everything was fine until we ran into foul weather on the Border Track. The constant heavy rain and wind softened the film and then, when we hit the main road and got up some speed, it gradually peeled back over itself until it became a real mess, like some sort of SiFi spiderweb over the protruding bits of the vehicle. Then the sun came out and dried it in place. It cost m3 $20 at the local car wash where I used the pressure washer, and a lot of elbow grease to get the stuff off.

My lesson is... great while things are dry and even in light rain, but when the rain and wind get heavy, more a problem than a solution.

Regards, Mark
AnswerID: 116703

Follow Up By: vitara - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:14

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:14
Hi Mark The Shark, are you refering to the auto skin or the body skin (first reply) ?? Just want to know so I purchase the right one. I think I'd rather put up with the scratches than go through that bullsh@t every time you get heavy rain or wind. I'd imagine that would also be a driving distraction.
FollowupID: 372212

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:29

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:29
Hi guys,
true, if you are in heavy rain it will soften, however you would have to be in a heavy downpour for a while, and it depends how thick you apply it. If you know there will be heavy rain storms it is not recommended. As for removal, if you have waxed the car it comes off very easily.
FollowupID: 372217

Follow Up By: MarkTheShark - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:47

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:47
Dear vitara,

The stuff I am referring to is the ScratchPRO AP60, a temporary paint protection product that you basically roller on as a thick coat that drys relatively clear. It works fine in fine weather and does protect the paintwork.

The other thing that I found, after it had softened with the rain and wind and lost its integrity was that it retained mud and slush which then dried with it when the sun shone. Didn't hurt the paint on the vehicle but wasn't very sightly.

Mark
FollowupID: 372221

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:52

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:52
Brent,
Contact Alison at All Protection Tinting Pty Ltd (alison@tint.com.au or 02 9889 2300) and tell her Richard referred you to her - she provided film that protected my Cruiser's paintwork which otherwise would have been flayed in a 3 month trip all over outback WA.
AnswerID: 116733

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)