Thoughts on C/T Manufacturers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:06
ThreadID: 24051 Views:3175 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Morning,

We recently posted a thread on trailer manufacturers and received some helpful advice, we have contacted a few of them and are currently awaiting quotes back.

It was also suggested that we consider having a customised trailer manufactured by one of the C/T companies and it would probably be just as cost effective.

We have decided this is an excellent suggestion and have shortlisted a few that are reasonably close to where we live (ACT).

Can anyone offer any thoughts on either quality or workmanship on any of the following companies or their customer service not just during the purchase phase but also their afterservice.

We are currently looking at:

All Terrain Camper Trailers
Challenge Camper Trailers
Billabong Camper Trailers
The Complete Campsite

Any advice greatly appreciated, there are so many different companies manufacturing C/T's that it starts to get very confusing, advice from people with first hand experience is usually the best way of narrowing down the field.

Regards,
Mrs Boo

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TimmyG2 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:39

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 12:39
I have a All Terrain Camper Trailer and found their quality and workmanship is great. If anything they make the trailers too strong, meaning it is a beast of a trailer. I have travelled the territory extensively towing the trailer with my Toyota Prado, and found that the corrugutions were so bad in some places that bolts came off from under the dash of the Prado, but the trailer didn't have a single problem.

The owners of the All Terrain Camper's are extremely friendly and helpful, and they are always happy to make any mods that you request. I friend of mine had them build a cross between the off-road model and the on-road model so they could easily tow it with their Subaru Outback, nothing was too difficult for them.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 116694

Reply By: Willb - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:03

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:03
Hi Boo, I am hiring a Challenge C/T for the first 2 weeks of July. (light off road).
I will post here when we get back.
The trailer seems to be well built and well thought out, we'll see how it all works out.
Will
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 116705

Follow Up By: Boo - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:25

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:25
Look forward to hearing how the Challenge C/T performs.

Thanks.
FollowupID: 372201

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:13

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:13
I looked at these befoe buying mine (Heard Canvas in Shepparton).

You can hire a Challenge CT from the local agent in Canberra. A Friend of mine has hired a Challenge (not from canberra), several times , and raves about it. They look very nice.

The Complete Campsite featured in 4wdmonthly just before Xmas , with a glowing report. Can also hire them , but from Gosford.

A friend of mine has dealt with them lots with aftermarket bits for his CT (another Heards), By the way , Heards and CC sometimes deal with each other for parts.

The guy that builds the Billabong seems a knowledgable bloke. Talked to him on the phone, very helpful. Built in Nth NSW though.

I have seen the All Terrains at the show , look really good, but , and its just My opinion. Sydney builders seem to want to charge extra for the "made in Sydney". IMO, you can get better value CT's outside of Sydney. Worth considering though, if the CT, mets your requirements and the budget fits.

I'll chuck one up out of left field. Jumbuck Campertrailers in Newcastle. My personal favourite. Exceptional CT's VERY helpful. Do yourself a favour and at least look at one.

Best way of all is to get to the next Caravan and Camping Show (one in Syd shortly I think ???) , see all the main players (including all this lot), in One place.
AnswerID: 116707

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:36

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:36
Afternoon Flappa,
You are the only other person I have found with a Heard CT. We got ours in 2001 and have clocked up over 35000 km so far. Apart from normals like wheel bearings, we have had a trouble free run.
I have carried out a lot of mods to mine in the form of 60 lt rear water tank, extra front LH side jerry holder,
100 AH power pack and wireing, fromt gear box for genny and odds / sods. Had to stand the spear up to do this. Have also added overider breaks and a alloy slideout kitchen.
We have also added a campercoil matress and shade cloth sides to the anex. Apart from that it's standard.
It is a great unit.
FollowupID: 372202

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 13:44
I actually know a few others. Couple on here in fact (about 3 from memory).

I bought mine in Nov 2003. Sounds like you have the same as a mate of mine , who convinced me to buy a Heards , sight unseen. e got his about 2000-2001.

I have had a few little niggly things , but , nothing major. I would have been very disappointed if I had paid more for it , and had those problems. (Little wiring issue, Spare bracket wrong size, water leak).

Just finished building some Shadecloth walls for mine. Home made ply Kitchen, 12v system and lights, standup spare (now standard), front tool box. Certainly good value for me.

About to fit a water tank. Be interested in hearing/seeing what you did ?
FollowupID: 372204

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:35

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 14:35
Also check with www.campertrailers.org group. Heaps of information there.
AnswerID: 116729

Reply By: Stuart - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 20:30

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 20:30
Hi Mrs Boo, we have a Customline Camper (they are biult on the Gold Coast) and it is of excellent construction and quality. A friend of ours liked it so much they bought one as well. We live in Evatt and would be happy to give you our opinions and ideas and would be happy to show you our camper. We have yet to find a camper of equal quality for a better price. Some of our features are 16oz canvas, heavy duty suspension, electric brakes, 60ltr water tank, treg coupling, huge enclosed annex and a large storage box on the front plus heaps of other features for under $9000
If you would like some more info or a chat just send me an email with your phone number. Cheers. Stuart & Leanne.
AnswerID: 116785

Follow Up By: Boo - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:39

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:39
Thanks for the info, will have a look into Customline Campers, if we decide to go further with them we may take you up on the offer of a chat etc.

Regards,

Kerrie
FollowupID: 372323

Reply By: Hardo - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 20:02

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 20:02
Mrs Boo
I think you should consider where you are likely to take the trailer as there are varying degrees of build quality (and price). I have the All Terrain and it is very well built (and also very heavy). I am planning several trips in some pretty rough terrain over the coming years so I opted for a trailer that was built for the rough stuff. The people at All Terrain take their trailer to remote locations and have improved things with experience. I think it really comes down to what sort of terrain you want to tow the trailer over versus how much you want to spend. There are many trailers out there that i'm sure you would be very happy with.

Hardo
AnswerID: 117117

Reply By: big red car - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:35

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:35
have you considered a safari from trackabout, bullet proof build, well thought out.
i have 3 and can't falt them.
AnswerID: 117609

Sponsored Links