front main seal in 2h leaking

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:32
ThreadID: 24063 Views:7711 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me how to change the front main seal in a toyota 2h engine? Do I hafta take the timing cover off or can it be done without too much drama?
Thanx
Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bushy04 - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:58

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 18:58
You will have to take the harmonic balancer off which may be the hard part ,then just pop the seal out and fit the new one .
You have to make sure that the seal goes in straight so when I do it I use a piece of pipe the same size as the O/D of the seal.
If in doubt take it to a mechanic.
Have fun.
AnswerID: 116761

Reply By: Moz - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:35
Scott,
Added to that the bolt for the harmonic balancer must be done
up REALLY tight. I don't have the specs with me but I think it is
well over 200 ft.lbs.
If it is not done up tight it can damage oyur crankshaft down the track.

Cheers Moz
AnswerID: 116805

Reply By: viz - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 22:04
Scott, not being sarcastic or anything but if you have to ask, best leave it to a mechanic. Tricky things those balancers. I have replaced a couple in a V8 - radiator has to come out, pullers are needed, sealer extractors are needed. You may have to drop the sump too - and this may entail pulling apart some of the steering (without looking at it) - a real pain... The last time I did it the key come out of the crank end and wOuLd nOt Go BaCk IN!!! Not even with the appropriate magical incantations - which works most times ;)

Next thing - what balancer are you going to use - aftermarket (carefull! some are cheap and nasty and wont last and you have to do it all over again) or genuine? It also pays to check the balance too - and get it adjusted by a good shop. This will contribute to its longevity. After all this you will need a hefty torque wrench to torque things up correctly.

Saw a Cat motor in a truck one day that had a broken crank - caused by a bad (new) harmonic balancer. What was really strange that the only symptom was a vibration in the gear lever. It was only after the bonnet was up and the motor idling saw what appeared to be a loose harmonic balancer. Stopped the motor and grabbed the balancer by hand and the whole crank wobbled. Broke in the no.1 bigend which was holding it all together... (This was about 20 km south of Devil's Marbles). Very lucky that no more damage was done.

/viz
AnswerID: 116810

Reply By: mcgra (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 00:04

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 00:04
hi greeb

replace my seal in the 2H about 2 years back.

yes radiator had to come out and you need a special tool to undo the harmonic.

i got the seal from cbc bearing told them i wanted the best quality one they could lay their hands on.

anthoer tip go to www.birfeild.com select down loads and down load the factory manual they are pdf file and they are huge but well worth the wait.

happy playing

gra
AnswerID: 116824

Follow Up By: Wazza - (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:03
rather, http://www.birfield.com/

;-)
FollowupID: 372318

Reply By: angler - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:02

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 21:02
Whats this then? A 2H engine with a problem? No, can't be, never happen, bullet proof, go forever. I sold mine (sob sob) for about a grand more than I paid after I had done 200,000 K's
AnswerID: 116955

Sponsored Links