Diesels running on gas

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:16
ThreadID: 24065 Views:2218 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all, Was just wondering if any one knows about Diesels that run on a small amount of lpg aswell as the injected diesel, have heard the power and econ improve a fair bit.
cheers Tony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:26

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:26
Do a search - i raised this a few weeks ago, but don't remember the post id numbers. Feedback led me to some informative websites.
AnswerID: 116768

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:32
Linfox tried it. Improved the performance of their trucks, but buggered the motors.

They trialled it and decided against using it.

What does that tell you?
AnswerID: 116771

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 19:53
I know of several installations that run gas / diesel mix 24/7 with no problems but these are static engines on constant (mostly) load.
AnswerID: 116777

Reply By: Member - Jim M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 20:44
how ya going mate ? In sydney the council at liverpool were running some of thier diesel trucks on gas and there's afew government buses on gas. I also think its natural gas instead of LPG. It mite be worth a look on thier web sites . cheers.
AnswerID: 116790

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:06
Alot of trucks run diesel and gas for better performance. It is true that economy and power improve. There is a stage 1, 2 and 3 upgrade. I'll see if I can get onto my mate whose getting a TDI navara done.
AnswerID: 116798

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jun 21, 2005 at 21:22
I phoned an SA company today

1800 805 993

i got this number off the other post. I asked all the usual questions and i would love to believe everything they say. If it's all true, then this is almost as good as a turbo charger (you can use with a turbo). Questions i got answers to are following

1. economy - they install a chip in the system which can be reprogrammed to any parameter, economy, power (they claim power still has better econ) or somewhere inthe middle, you can reprogram this as much as you want via their computer.
2. engine life - better, cause the gas cleans it out (i wouldnt know what gas does to petrol cars)
3. temperature - runs cooler (good for overheating nissans like mine)
4. cost ~$3000 +GST = $3300

so basicly you get better ecomony as around 20% gas is subsidising the diesel in the cylineder. I have a few questions of my own they are going to call me back on

1. is it better economy the way a petrol car is better on gas - meaning it uses more fuel but the lower price of gas more than compensates for this therefore better financial economy?
2. realed to 1. does it actually use less fuel total (i hope this is the case)
3. engine wear is a serious concern to me especially if as the post above suggests that linfox found it stuffed their engines up - i dont have linfox capital to say - oh well i wont do that this time.

other than that this system is suppost to improve every aspect of the engine, more power at the same time running cooler and using less fuel + cleaner engine. In this case i do see $3.3k worth of value.
AnswerID: 116803

Follow Up By: nickoff - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:23

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 06:23
Hi F4Phantom

From my various readings of other sites, the economy is achieved by almost total consumption of the diesel fuel in the combustion chamber.
The gas charge creates a burn of over 99% of the diesel fuel in the combustion chamber, rather that the standard 85%. This them gives either more power, or with the foot lifted slightly, the same power out put for a lesser input of diesel fuel, therefore creating a diesel saving. the gas is injected into the inlet airflow at a variable ratio of between 10% and 25% of the total fuel used, IE if you use 10kilos of diesel per hour, between 1 and 2.5kilos of gas is injected into the airflow, depending on engine speed, and torque band. The computer controller has to be set with torque band settings for each engine. As the ignition point of the diesel fuel charge is about 385 deg c, and the flash point of the propane/butane charge is about 550 deg c, the gas is compressed in the cylinder with the air mixture, but doesn’t ignite on its own. When the diesel fuel is injected, this triggers the ignition of the gas charge, which in turn promoted an almost total burn of the diesel fuel where it can best be used. As a side benefit, because there is almost total consumption of the diesel fuel, you get little or no carbon particulate matter (soot) out of the exhaust pipe, which keeps the enviromentals happy too.

This is the way I read and understand the subject.

Nick.
FollowupID: 372296

Reply By: drogger - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:09

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:09
Suggest you also look at the earlier post referred to above:

PostID: 22579
Posted: 02 May 19:17

Cheers
AnswerID: 116866

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:30

Wednesday, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:30
I spoke to representatives of a company that does the conversion at a 4WD show in Adelaide.

Basically a small amount of LPG is injected and used to burn the diesel more efficiently as referred to in previous post. Hence more power and better fuel economy.

The only concern I have is will it effect the reliablility of my motor. A large number of trucks use them and I will wait and see how reliable they are in the transport industry before I spend over $3,000 on fitting something that may damage my motor.

You can buy a lot of fuel for $3,000.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 116869

Sponsored Links