Honda EU20i generator longevity

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:12
ThreadID: 24101 Views:9749 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am contemplating the purchase of a Honda EU20i as it is the only brand available that completely suits my purpose. I have read that repair costs are extreme, but haven't heard directly of anyone having to repair one.
Is the repair issue a myth? How reliable are they? Is it likely the unit will last a long time given I only expect to use it about 40 hours per year?

Thanks for your help.
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:27

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:27
Hi Dave
We have an EU20i and love it. We use it for 3 weeks a year or every second year now that we live in melb. It travells to fraser with us of any place we are camping in for an extended period. I change the oil regularly when using it and clean out the filter and carry a spare spark plug. Ours is over 3 years old does about 14 hours on 4litres and runs a heaps of fridges and freeze and lights. I cannot fault it, but i have never had an issue wth it

Crazie
AnswerID: 117025

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:40

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:40
Hi Dave,

I've had one for about 2 years now and I'm not as fastidious as Crazie in the maintenance department. I use it much on the same basis and also not had a problem with it.

However a mate of mine reckon it isn't as good as the Yamaha he was buying - according to the Yamaha saleman. Hope you haven't been talking to the same guy?

I do reckon though they are slightly high tech - alternator and inverter technology. So it wouldn't suprise me if they are a little expensive on the repairs - particularly if you got Honda involved.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 117031

Reply By: Member - W.Wallace - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:48

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:48
G'day Dave,
I have also had one for a few years, it's been used quite a lot
been bashed around in the back of utes, been most places around
central Oz, in extreme heat etc. Never had one single problem
with mine. My opinion is that they are the best you can get.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 117040

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:35

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:35
Dave,

Have been using Hondas of different types, bikes, engines, whippersnippers, for quite a few years. If you are using your EU20, for 40 hours a year, then I'd suggest it'll be going for the next 20 years! Or more.....

Change the oil every 25 hours use, and keep the airfilter clean, and it will run until it's internally haemorrhaging, then still keep running....just.

No, I don't sell them, or work for someone that does.

Just keep the unit off any dusty ground, as some iron based soils can be sucked into the generator side, and play havoc with the electrics.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 117133

Reply By: Rick P - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:26

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:26
Hi Dave, I am considering the same purchase and as the saying goes, ‘You can only judge things by what you've had'. Every Honda I've owned has been faultless, works like a clock, no oils leaks, etch... I recon Hondas are the best by far, as for the Yamahas I've had many bad experiences with, some so bad that even the Yamaha dealers couldn’t fix…so stay away from Yamaha! I guess if the engineers don't get it right, the mechanics don't stand a chance!
AnswerID: 117238

Sponsored Links