Firewood for a short weekend

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:31
ThreadID: 24102 Views:2261 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

After reading and contributing posts about firewood and mentioning that I work for a furniture company, I realise I am fortunate enough to get a free bag of off-cuts before each weekend away. I had a thought (and no, it didn't hurt for long).

The company I work for uses eco-select timber and there is always offcuts going to waste (ie. in the skip for collection). Anytime anybody is going on a trip or during winter there are never off-cuts left as they get taken by our staff for firewood either at home or in the camp fire.

Possibly a few of you out there heading away for a short weekend may be able to get your hands on some off-cuts from local furniture manufacturers - even better it may be free as they wont have to pay for the skip collection as frequently. Then you can rest assured that you WILL get a fire with some dry wood - very often hardwood and at the same time know you are using timber harvested from sustainable forest and not have to go foraging on the way to your destination.

Just a thought - and apologies to any companies out there that may be about to get a deluge of phone calls...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:52

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:52
Hi Jodi

LOL..........now everyone is going to know some people's lucky secrets.
We get ours from a local company too who give away their "free" wood.
We have been doing this for many years when camping closer to home.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 117034

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:44

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:44
We've sort of gone in a different direction.

Bought a brazier, from Mitre 10, for about $20 or $30. A large bag of briquettes lasts a very, very long time indeed.

Takes a while to kick in, then you have a toasty hot area you can sit around, very close, and not have smoke in your eyes.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 117052

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:46

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:46
Actually thats a great idea for a lot of people. Instead of chain sawing through the bush they can use stuff that would probably be dumped.
Good one.
AnswerID: 117053

Reply By: Jodi - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:56

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 13:56
I will also add that the timber that we burn from work very very rarely produces smoke as it is dry. Having said that, I think that having a brazier is a great idea. We have toyed with the idea each time we go away, also helps to stop a small fire turning into a big fire that is nearly as tall as the people around it.
AnswerID: 117056

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:08

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:08
I agree with the idea totally. I try to take a bag of wood from home.

The issue is space.

I dont often have the extra room to fit fire wood in , so hence , I have to worry about it when I get there.

I also have a brazier , that I would love to be able to fit in. Normally better then the BBQ/Fireplaces that are provided.
AnswerID: 117058

Follow Up By: Jodi - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:14

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:14
Hence the reason for it being for a short weekend. We have the same dilemma. Often for a week long trip we will still try to find a way to get the bag in as it's a guaranteed nights worth of dry wood and getting a fire going no matter what the weather - we've been caught before and this time of year when it's dark and freezing (in Vic anyway) by 5pm it's almost essential to have the fire for warmth - otherwise it's bedtime.

We were camping a few weeks ago in Croajingalong and met a lovely retired couple that were making their way down the coast and then along the great ocean road with a caravan (it took them several hours to get into the campsite instead of the normal 40 mins - keen). Anyway, the husband had made himself his own brazier kind of thing that colapsed and turned into like a storage compartment that fitted into the back of his cruiser. It was genius and we are now spewing that we didn't get more details from him.
FollowupID: 372521

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:46

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:46
THATS what I'm after . . . Lol.

The wood gets chucked on the roof rack , no other space. Come to think of it . . . The brazier ISN'T that big . . . it would fit on the roof rack as well . . . hmmmm . .

Have to have another look I think . . . . AHHHH , brain wave.

I need to buy a large 100 odd litre plastic tool box (for my shower , but thats another story), It would go on the back of the rack anyway . . . what to put in it ??? , I now know . . .

Great thread . . .
FollowupID: 372527

Follow Up By: Jodi - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:50

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 14:50
Teehee. I can only imagine about your tool box for the shower.

Have you ever noticed that whether you go for two nights or ten nights you always seem to have to cram the same amount of gear in?
FollowupID: 372529

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:36

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:36
Flappa contact me re fitting a water tank to your CT.
scollen at pnc dot com dot au.
I can let you know all the things I did wrong
Vince
FollowupID: 372542

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:43

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:43
Actually Jodi , its used to recycle some of the shower water , and or can be used as a bath.

With 6 of us , I need to conserve water.
FollowupID: 372543

Follow Up By: Jodi - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:52

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 15:52
Fair call. I guess we're fortunate to just have the two of us. Don't know where we would fit anybody else anyway.
FollowupID: 372548

Sponsored Links