Modified 4WD insurance

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2411 Views:6971 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

I am just about to put 33 or 35 inch by 12.5 inch tyres on my 91 TD 80 series on new wheels. If I can get them at the same price i might move up to 16 inch wheels with similar sized tyres (305/70s or 315/75's).

I will also be putting in at least a 3-4 inch lift to give these tyres plenty of room. Probably the TJM series 2000 coils and the Rancho 9000 shocks for good wheel travel and adjustability.

Firstly has anyone got any comments on the pro's and cons of this sort of setup and secondly I doubt if Suncorp Metway will continue to insure the vehicle because the vehicles tyres are outside the maximum variance allowed by Queensland Transport. I have heard about Austrlian 4wd Insurance. Are their rates comparable to the big insurerers and has anyone had any experiences with good or bad insurance companies after they have modified their 4WD?

I still have'nt made the mods yet so give me your honest opinions?

Cheers

Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00
You are going from 31's to 35's which is a 4" increase in OD for the tyres which will need an engineers certificate in NSW (I understand Qld is more stringent). I have gone to 33's in my Discovery and I love the extra clearance, but do notice a reduction in braking and stability that eminates from the sidewalls flexing as much as they do. The gearing is altered, though this has not woried me much as the TD5 seems happier on the highway, though performance off the line is bluntened. Low range is pretty good anyhow in the Disco.

I also have a 4" lift which is fine. I actually think most of the performance degradation comes from the tyres rather than the lift. Something the lift has done is introduced an intermittant driveline vibration from a rear universal joint, so be aware of this. I don't know how the rear of the Patrol is set up in this respect. The Rancho 9000's are pretty good, though I dont think perfect (what is though?). I don't fit into many carparks these days, so be aware of this, and I'm not sure anymore if the thing will slide in an emergency or just plain fall over, though I do love the view up there. If you do the lift, which will total 6" also, make sure you get some rock slider steps to help you get in and out.

TCIS will insure almost anything as long as its legal or engineer certified. They worked out to be $500pa cheaper for me than NRMA ins.

Regards
Slunnie
AnswerID: 8725

Follow Up By: Ferret - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

How did you go putting 33's on ya Disco? I want to put them on my 95 But don't know if they'd foul to much(currently running 31x10.5x15's). Any info would be great and I'd be interested i all the mods in your car....got any pics?
My email address is decostsa@bp.com
Thanks Scott
FollowupID: 4266

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

No worries Scott, I will email you some stuff tomorrow. It is a Series II though, which from what I understand has larger wheel wells than the DI. I love the lift and tyres, but would probably do a true 2" lift or a tad over and 265/75's which are about 31.5's if I had my time again. To go that little bit more isn't very good value for money.
Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 4267

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

No matter what any insurance company says, they all have a clause that says that a vehicle must be roadworthy or you won't get a cent. Of course they'll still take your money, but your not covered if your vehicle isn't legal.

That means that you would have to have a tyre placard or modification plate saying that Queensland Transport allows that tyre size.
AnswerID: 8729

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

You will need engineers for 33 and 35's in Vic as well. The only ones Ive heard of passsing are BFG MTs in 35 and Coopers 35's, as the engineer has it in writing that they are safe and recommended by the importer to go on 8inch rims.. 10inch are illegal in Victoria.

Anyway....

In Qld they are VERY harsh on what you can and cant do. Im thinking 35's are a no in Qld from what Ive read on a few of the serious hack 4b lists... I could be wrong, but your best bet is to get it in writing, contact a 4wd shop that does mods, and ask for the contact details to their Engineer.. Ask him.

Failing that contact Qld Tpt and ask for contact details of approved engineers, and get it from them, as they are the ones that will have to pass it before you can register it again...

I had to get engineers for 33's goign from 31's in Vic..

I will also be putting in at least a 3-4 inch lift to give these tyres plenty of room. Probably the TJM series 2000 coils and the Rancho 9000 shocks for good wheel travel and adjustability.

Thats a waste. your going top of range shocks, and cheap springs. Go King or Dobinson springs... You wont regret it. Also think about the rancho 9's... (they dont make 9000 anymore anwyay).. Will you use the adjustment?? I have 9's and dont! You can save money there if you wish!

YMMV.
My Place
AnswerID: 8730

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:00

You may also try Lovells Springs. I speced some springs through them and originally they were a bit high but settled quickly to the exact spec.

Truckster what are the Rancho 9's and how do they fit into the range. AFAIK they have taken the 9000's and updated the internals to the 9000X spec, and given these the serial designation of RS99### (starts with double 9's now). Auto Alliance told me the only difference between the hybrid ones and the to be latest Rancho9000X is the knob that will give 9 steps in the range instead of 5. Is this the same shock you are talking about? If it is, apparently the knobs can be changed to 9 step very easily also.

Regards
Slunnie
FollowupID: 4262

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
the 9's I was referring to are 9000's.

the new 9 way shocks are just more cost and more settings that 98% of people wouldnt need.

I think updating their 5000s woudl have made more sense.
FollowupID: 4284

Reply By: andy - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Whatever you do DONT USE Australian 4WD Insurance. These used to be BRA insurance and were marketed throughh the ARB business. I had 18 months of hell in the form of shocking service, not returning phone calls, patronising letters, etc etc... all after I found out that they had me uninsured for almost 8 months. I was a paid up member (or so I thought) and these people treated me like the dirt on a pub floor. I had 5 vehicles insured with them for over 8 years and I have found that they are the bottom of the toilet as far as 4WD insurance goes. ARB reccommended them to me and I wished that they never had. After a bit of fishing around the best value cover that covered all of my accessories and modifications is AAMI. Give them a try for a quote. Just Stay Away from AUSTRALIAN 4WD INSURANCE, well away. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. ANDY
AnswerID: 8752

Follow Up By: Charlie - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Andy, it is always good to hear feedback about insurance companies. (Wheather good or Bad). I was wondering if AAMI would insure slightly modified 4b's though?
FollowupID: 4320

Follow Up By: Maria - Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thank you for the warning Andy. I have been with Australian 4WD Insurance for six years now and even though I have never had to make a claim (thank God) I have had similar experiences - letters are always ignored, even when sent by registered mail, no-one knows anything when you ring them, they never write or call back. The service is absolutely disgusting. They keep sending letters requesting payments which have already been made - four reminders in a row once, even though I replied every time that I had already paid, in a progressively ruder tone.
Originally I was attracted by the fact that they cover all modifications - I have spent even more than you on my HiLux. I will now definitely check with AAMI. Did you ever make a claim with A4WD Insurance?
FollowupID: 4472

Reply By: andy - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
My 99 Hilux SR5 has over $13,000 worth of Mods and extras and they didn't even question any of them. I have susp, tyres, bars you name it. I believe that honesty is the best way with Insurance companies. That way you don't suprise them when it comes to vehicle inspections and they don't surprise you when it comes to claiming. Cheers.
AnswerID: 8955

Sponsored Links