Valve Stem Seals - 100 Series Toyo

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:10
ThreadID: 24111 Views:5470 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Gang,

I have a 100 Series Toyo with about 110k on the clock and I think I have a leaky valve stem seal or seals. Symptons are some smoke from exhaust at start up in the morning or after taking off from an idle position of 5mins say and oil buring smell as well. I am using about 1.5ltrs every 2-3months.

My question is does anyone know if these can be replaced without pulling the head and if so what cost would I be up for?

Thanks

Stuart
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:27

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:27
What motor are you talking about?

What brand/grade oil are you using?

Valve stem seals needing replacing on a LandCruiser at 110k would have to be rare.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 117080

Follow Up By: AT4WD ADVENTURES - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:42

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:42
Me Again,

I forgot to say which motor ....4.5 lt Six Petrol as for oil not sure what was used last service...would have to check.

Stuart
FollowupID: 372564

Reply By: ColinD - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:48

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 16:48
Agreed, unlikely to be valve stem seals at that number of kms, yes the seals can be replaced without removing the head or valves.
Is the smoke black, or does it have a blue tinge?
Is the oil burning smell coming from an oil leak on the engine running onto a hot surface such as exhaust, this would acount for oil use as well. You would be surprised how much oil can be "consumed" this way.
Common oil burning smell also from transmision rear seal-exhaust and diff seal-exhaust.....................col
AnswerID: 117086

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 19:09

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 19:09
Gday at
I have had only 1 100series come through the workshop from a car yard in which I had to do valve stem seals on. It had 108 000 km on it. It also had a broken timing chain guide and some other things. IMHO I reckoned the speedo had been tripped back but there is no way for knowing. Only reason I thought this was due to the condition inside the enigne. I ended up removing the engine as you can't get the front timing cover off with out removing the sump. Ended up removing the head and doing a full head service. All up cost heaps but it didn't come back for any further warranty work.
I don't think I answered your question though as I didn't do the seals on the engine. I don't usually do any with the bucket type shim/lash adjusters on the vehicle. All others, no dramas.
Regards
80s
AnswerID: 117110

Sponsored Links