A trip with kids

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:16
ThreadID: 24121 Views:2833 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
DB (post#24039) asked for advice on what vehicle to buy for 2 adults and 4 children for a 6-12 month trip towing a camper trailer. His thought was maybe a troopie although most suggestions were for a large wagon.
My question is what to buy for 2adults +2 children(9 and 11) to be fully self reliant with enough food water etc for 16 days,fuel for 1300km and a host of spares and recovery gear including hand winch,tyre repair equipmentand 2 spare wheels?
It is not possible to tow a camper in these areas,I would think someone has done trips like this and their imput would be invaluable.

Thanks Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chappobriz - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:45

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:45
You could buy a delica which has huge amounts of space and is capable of towing a small camper trailer and much cheaper than anything else.
CHappo
AnswerID: 117138

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:47

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:47
Terry,

Some years ago now one of the 4x4 mags did a story on this. The title of the story was "...including the kitchen sink." or something like that.

The vehicle they were talking about was a Landrover 110 County. It is now known as a Defender. It is big and square, great offroad ability and very reliable. The criticisim back then was that it was too slow on the highway. I believe that problem has been overcome. They are now a reliable, economical vehicle with more storage space than anything on the market.

And no I don't own one, or a Landrover Dealership for that matter.
AnswerID: 117226

Reply By: BamBam - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:24

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:24
G'day Terry

As a family (kids are 4, 6 & 8) we have undertaken many remote trips without towing anything taking all the necessary bits req'd of remote solo travel. I think a big wagon (cruiser or patrol) is the way to go. Something with a strong donk under the bonnet for all the weight (4.2 litre).

A shelf system (mine is simple and home made) in the back together with a busgranger bag on the roof works well for us.

We are doing twelve months as a family starting in December.

Good luck with the purchase & enjoy!
AnswerID: 117241

Follow Up By: Cammo - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 15:50

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 15:50
BamBam

I am in a similar situation. Can I ask what and how you sleep the tribe? I am tossing up whether to get a camper trailer, but would rather do without if possible. I am particularly concerned with pack up and set up time.

Thanks
FollowupID: 372687

Follow Up By: flappa - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 16:19

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 16:19
Its a matter of compromise.

We have 4 kids.

For years we went camping with the bare basics because that all we could fit in. Still a great time , but , depends on your idea of roughing it (or more to the point , your other half).

Then went to camping with trailer (still in tents) so a certain level of comfort can be maintained , and 18 months ago bought a CT.

NO COMPARISON.

Should have dont it years ago.

Everything now fits either in the CT , or on the roof. Dont have heaps of stuff jammed in around the kids. Makes life so much easier.
FollowupID: 372689

Follow Up By: BamBam - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 17:50

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 17:50
Cammo

We have tried so many options sleeping the tribe. Quite frankly I haven't nutted the perfect system yet.

Last few Years we have taken the rolled up foam mattres for 'us' (very easy & comfortable - but bulky) and the kids have been on stretcher beds (fiddly - but helped to get them off ground level in the cold)- but we are about to revert back again to the blow ups to cut out the bulk (but also back to hassle of blowing them up and fixing the punctures).

The secret to camping without a camper trailer is to have a tent that goes up and down very quickly. We have a great family canvas tent that goes up or down very quickly and it make all the difference. I can't stress enough how important a non fiddly tent is. It is the difference between a great and awful expereince.

When we go around Australia for twelve months from December we will be taking a camper trailer (but plan to leave it behind for the major 4wd treks eg Cape York) and going solo in the tent for weeks at at time.

Despite also having a camper trailer we still prefer 4WDing and camping in the tent and not dragging a camper trailer. But for a year away we feel we need the base and the odd bit of relative comfort to come back to.
FollowupID: 372714

Sponsored Links