Legal Suspension Lift In Queensland (How?)

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:27
ThreadID: 24123 Views:14330 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Gang,
I want to upgrade the suspension on the GU. I went to a few dealers and found one system I like, but it will lift my vehicle 100mm. (Yes there are other options but I want the lift without body lift blocks.) As I want to remain legal to avoid insurance issues I found the Queensland Vehicle Modifications" brochure to work out how high is still legal.
( http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/vehicles_modifications )

It now reads;
"The ride height measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced by no more than 1/3".
"The rebound travel measured between the rubber rebound stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than 1/3"

In a 4WD vehicle we want to do the exact opposite to what is said here.
There is no reference to INCREASING the travel distance or INCREASING ride height.

I have written a couple of letters to Queensland Transport to clarify this but as yet have not had a reply to my second letter.

Has anyone had any concrete answer on what is a legal lift in Queensland?
Am I the only confused one?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Horacehighroller - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:59

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:59
Gday OffRoad Dave,

I'd imagine the reference to the "rebound stop" may be relevent.

Measure the amount by which you can currently raise the body/chassis of the vehicle until the shockie is fully extended.
You may then permanently lift the vehicle by one third of this distance.

Might be wise to put on muuuuuuch longer shocks before conducting this test????
(Queenland authorities may not see the merit(??) in the longer shocks.
AnswerID: 117143

Reply By: govo - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 22:50

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 22:50
Dave..i recently talked to my brother in law about this subject and as he is a cop in the Rockhampton traffic branch i thought he should know.He told me that any 4wd with a 2 inch lift they do not worry about but if they pull over a 4wd with a lift higher then 2 inches they always ask to see the relevent certificates that should be issued with the lift.He also stated that 4wd modifations are currently under review and QLD Transport will issue the new rules and guide lines sometime this year.
Hope this is helpfull to your cause.
AnswerID: 117154

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 23:33

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 23:33
Now if this is the case, Why can't Queensland Transport just say that.
Tell us if new rules are comming, something. I hope this is true.
I hope they get rid of the max tyre diameter measurement of +15mm more than your tyre place card on the vehicle. That is such a small amount to a large standard 4WD tyre.

We can only hope.
FollowupID: 372621

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 23:41

Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 23:41
I asked a cop who is into 4wding down here, he had NFI...
FollowupID: 372623

Reply By: Bench - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:06

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:06
Hi guys,

Like Govo I've had similar discussions with transport & the boys in blue, but like many of us in the sunshine state we can't get a solid answer. I worked with a police officer here in Brisbane & I asked him about suspension mods to fourbies... after a little chuckle, he told me that if you get pulled over, it's up to each individual officer on how they interpret the act. Both him & I agreed that it's rather inconsistent approach.

I was even told that depending on how you interpret the act, you can put in a bigger lift by also putting in bigger bump stops, because the distance from the rubber bump stop & the corresponding metal stop hasn't increased by more than a 1/3...

I feel your pain guys!!!

Cheers,
Bench

AnswerID: 117204

Reply By: BamBam - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:43

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:43
Gday Dave

Many states are saying 2inches max legal lift before engineering certificates etc (& problems with insurance companies). It'll probably go that way in Qld - but it is Qld I suppose so anything is possible!!
AnswerID: 117246

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 10:37

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 10:37
I hear this all the time but I can not find it writen down in any Transport Agency documentation. The only time I ever see the magic 50mm is when they refer to Body Lift blocks. Thats the legal max in Queensland. I am not interested in Body lift blocks.

Go to Code Of Practices doument of Queensland
link text

Go to page 23
Rejection Reasons
"Suspension height is LOWERED or RAISED by more than 1/3 of the manufactures bump stop clearance"
For a start there is 2, 1 at the top and the maximum droop.

I measured the distance between the top bump stop and the metal corresponding stop on the front of my GU Patrol. It was about 50mm as it was difficult to measure inside the spring. It was about 50mm.
If I apply the law. 1/3 x 50mm = 15mm.
Yippee I can lift my vehicle a wopping 15mm.

If I measured the dropp it would be substantial but it doesn't matter as I have already been defeated by the first measurement.

Have I got this wrong?

FollowupID: 372818

Reply By: Glenno - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:49

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 12:49
I found Qld transport very receptive to letters querying vehicle modifications. I wrote them a letter about tyre modifications and within 4 days I had a phone call from one of their engineers. He answered my questions and has since written a letter back outlining our conversation and what was permitted under the legislation.

I addressed my letter to the "Vehicle Modification Dept" at the normal Qld Transport PO Box.

Cheers,

Glenn.
AnswerID: 117392

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 08:21

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 08:21
Thanks for the reply. I might try a written letter as well to see if i have anymore luck.
What was your question regarding tyre modification? I want to determine if it was something that could of been found in the "Code of Practices" or if you had a variation. ie Was it a simple answer or not?

FollowupID: 372893

Follow Up By: Glenno - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 13:41

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 13:41
Hiya Dave,

Mine was in response to verbal advice I received from their call centre that my Hilux was NOT entitled to the increase of 15mm for tyres. So I put it in writing and asked them to confirm this in writing. Ill post their response shortly.

Cheers,

Glenn
FollowupID: 372912

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:52

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:52
Dave
I am in Townsville and insured with RACQ.
I checked with them before getting the GU lifted and they will still insure you up to 50mm lift, but over that you have no insurance cover
So went for the obvious
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 117524

Follow Up By: Off Road Dave - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:26
I rang Suncorp and they said they will insure a 4" lift (But here is the catch) "SO LONG AS IT IS LEGAL".

So again I chase around in circles as it currently impossible to get a definetive answer on legalities.
This is probably why some people just go out and get the suspension lifted anyway as they just can't get an answer either way.

FollowupID: 373146

Reply By: Off Road Dave - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 13:50
I have now written to the Minister Of Tansport and Mainroads in regards to this issue.
Contact the Minister

AnswerID: 117896

Sponsored Links