Trak Shak camper trailer

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 23, 2005 at 21:50
ThreadID: 24125 Views:11477 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I am planning ordering a Trak Shak camper trailer for my wife & I and our 3 kids (11, 8 & 5). The most appropriate model seems to be the Majestic, which is a Hybrid with various options included (such as boat rack, 2 fridges etc). Before I ordered it, I thought I'd see what options / modifications peolpe recommended for a Trak Shak. What do you think?
Cheers,
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:08

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 08:08
Hi there Dave,

does the Majestic [must be a new name for the Hybrid - sounds heaps better..hahaha..] have the insect screen as an option or a side wall for the flappy thing at the front...[sorry mind has gone blank as to what it's called let's call it the verandah] our TrakShak is a the deluxe but an older model, and has just got the verandah, a side wall that could be velcroed onto either end would be fantastic, as would an insect screen. Also, GAJM has a TrakShak as well, and when he had his built, he had the parts where the beds go made deeper, which is a great idea, if we were ordering one from scratch we would insist on that too, makes packing up easier. We've just installed water tanks underneath, not sure if that's an option but we think it's better than taking heaps of jerries with us, 2 tanks, one for drinking water, one for grey water. Al has different legs for it as well, that wind up so it's easier for adjusting heights etc, I'm not sure where he got them, but saw them on another camper trailer and ordered them, they clip/bolt/fasten on the side of the trailer in place of the original legs, I'm sure other's will have other suggestions.

If you'd like to talk further about it, just email us, just click on the rig pick for the addy.

cheers

Lyn

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 117195

Reply By: Pud & Barb - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:28

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 09:28
Hi Dave,
We have a Trak Shak that will be available for sale in about a months time. We are doing the Simpson in about 2 weeks. Ours is 4 years old and is the Deluxe model. Very happy with it but have decided to upgrade to an Ultimate. The Trak Shak has been great, goes anywhere the Patrol goes. If you're interested in a second hand cheaper than new price give me a bell. 0428 264 311.
Cheers Barb.
AnswerID: 117210

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:40

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:40
Ozi,

Have had a trak shak for 9years now and it is pretty much standard.

The wind up legs sound like a good idea although in the 9years we have only once not been able to level the Shak with the standard ones, the Hi-Lift fixed the problem.

We have travelled for up to eight weeks in ours, 3 kids. and managed that trip (Cape York) with a Chescold fridge and a large eski. It required a little more thought and some extra effort over the way we travel now but it was OK. The battery makes life a lot easier but extra 12v outlets would be a huge advantage.

If I was doing it over again the only change I would make would be to get the disk brakes. I am forever cleaning out the drums which steadfastly refuse to work.

I believe the canvas surround for the awning is a standard inclusion and there is a flyscreen available to enclose the awning too. I'd get both, we rarely use the canvas walls but when it is cold and wet they are great.

I am also in the process of making up some shadecloth to cover two sides of the awning but not to hang vertically. they are designed to follow the guy ropes down and attach tto the same pegs as the guy ropes. This gives more room and allows you to get out from under the awning without having to move the shade out of the way.

The other thing we carry is a shadecloth door matt. Trak Shak used to say you could use the stone guard for this but when it is covered in mud it's not a very good matt.

Like I say we have had ours for 9 years and it has been around. You have made a good choice and I am sure you will be happy with it.

THey are also a good investment, a friend who bought his at the same time as me recently sold it for more than he paid.

Duncs
AnswerID: 117224

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:11

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:11
thankyou Duncs - flappy thing = awning...geez it's bad when your mind goes....

we too use shadecloth for a "mat" and it is fantastic, we also have a non standard stone guard that we ordered via Tambo Camper Trailers which is fantastic.

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 372668

Reply By: brett - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:16

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:16
I've got a Midway which I bought secondhand, been great with 3 kids. I've added power outlets inside but these are standard now. Also got a groundsheet that extends out to the awning, this is also standard now. Have added a southern cross canvas garbage bag onto the spare wheel to carry the dirty groundsheet and hoses and other things that can get messy, this has been very usefull. I've also added a water system with pressure pump mounted under the pole box that feeds off a jerry can, then run a hose to a tap on the kitchen, this is exellent, just turn the tap and running water. Am now considering a permanent tank, leaning towards a fabricated stainless tank of about 80L that will fit in the place of the 3 Jerry cans. But Lyne's tank undeneath sounds interesting, any more details? I Don't have electric brake's but would recommend them, would also look at getting the suitcase made a bit deeper, especially if you have the extra room on. Mine is standard and I can fold it up ok with the extra room and carpet up on the bed but it's a bit tight, another 2 inch's would be great.
AnswerID: 117240

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:30

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:30
Hi Brett,

we've got a spare wheel garbage bag thing too, hadn't considered using it for carrying the ground sheet...hmmm..that's an idea...hahahah..ah the water tanks are underneath, they're the black plastic ones, but Al has made a protective metal shield thing that they sit inside and are protected from stone chips, I think they are both 60lt though I could be wrong about that, there's one at the front and one at the rear, the fillers are at the side, and he has "quick release" connector things for the hoses that are just under tail gate. If you want more info, just email me,.
FollowupID: 372673

Reply By: ozidave - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:13

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 22:13
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. we ordered the Trak Shak today. It does come with awning sides & screen as standard. We also got a generator athough swmbo is worried it will be too loud & that we should have got the solar. I thought the genny would be more versatile.
Will keep you posted about our adventures in it.
cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 117344

Sponsored Links