Cruise control for Kia Sportage

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:12
ThreadID: 24136 Views:2687 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am wanting to put a cruise control on my 2002/03 Kia Sportage I have been told after market are not that accurate, can any one offer some input please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vitara - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:46

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:46
Hi Trakers, I have had 2 cruise control units fitted to 2 previous cars (not4wd) Had no trouble with either of them.Great on the open road useless around town(sydney) to many people dont know how to drive,not as good in a manual I found but great in the auto. Would be ok in a manual out side of the city. I also have it in my commodore factory fitted pretty accurate but some people seem to think that even when going down hill it slows you down as well it doen't wife uses it a lot more than I do Great for long trips especially when you get those long straights and you want to put your foot down keeps you from copping one of those pics the speed cameras like to take of you. Take care Vitara
AnswerID: 117225

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:45

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:45
What is not to be accurate about them - unless you have to dial in a particular speed on some sort of Indicator. Most require you to be at a set speed and then you set and it will keep you at that speed within a couple of kph within the contraints of engine power - noting that they only control throttle not brakes so if going down hill the cruise control will close throttle only so you can actually speed up - likewise when going up hill more and more throttle is applied until the engine is no longer able to provide the required speed - some controllers will completely disengage - or in an automatic the gearbox may change down - depends on whether the cruise control is actually taking in input from vehicle speed or engine RPM. (in a manual this is a good alternative)

I have fitted 2 cheap kmart type versions over the years - first was on a V8 discovery which I linked to engine rpm. This didn't need a switch on the clutch pedal because the controller computer could detect massive engine RPM changes and would disengage - like as if you had used the clutch. The second system was fitted to a diesel triton and we fitted the magnets to the drive shaft so that it effectively inputed speed - this system does need a clutch switch (like a brake light switch) to disengage the contoller when you change gears. As speed doesn't change much when changing gears the computer cannot detect it so the cruise control stays engaged and the engine revs its head off.

I found the cheap systems worked just as well as my factory fitted system that I have on my current discovery (it has a clutch switch as standard).
AnswerID: 117247

Reply By: Frank_Troopy - Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:52

Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 13:52
Hi Trakers,
I have an Auscruise in my Troopy and love it. The only thing I can compare it with is my other car, a Ford Fairmont with standard cruise control. The Auscruise speed adjustment buttons adjust speed by one km/hr compared to 2 km/hr for the cruise control in the Ford. I find that the Troopy/Auscruise holds a constant speed much better than the Ford, though this is aided by the extra engine braking of the diesel better resisting the speedup on downhills.

Contrary to the auto being better than the manual for cruise control, I actually find it the other way around because with a manual you don't get those short-lived, hoon-like down changes when full thottle is reached going up long steep hills.

Although I find mine to be perfect on the standard setting, it is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the unit to suit a vehicle that may have an unusual throttle action.

I would recommend the Auscruise. I couldn't imagine doing a long drive without it.

Cheers Frank.
AnswerID: 117248

Sponsored Links