GQ Front Axle seal

Submitted: Friday, Jun 24, 2005 at 20:13
ThreadID: 24156 Views:4940 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi from the real South Wales!

Had the Patrol for 12 years 100,000 miles and just got my first ever failure!

You guy's know it as a GQ (we know it as a GR) it's got the 4.2 diesel (Y60) straight 6 non turbo on a 5 speed manual box.

After dragging a 5 ton cherry picker up a mountain she's started dripping diff oil from the front RHS knuckle, I don't want to leave it for too long as it'll wash all the grease out of the CV.

Anyway, according to my Nissan service manual the front axle oil seals are on the outside (hub end) of the diff casing but the dealer drawings show it on the inside (diff end) of the casing.

So which way is it ?

The Nissan manual is a bit crap as to how to tackle the job can someone please give me a run through?

Cheers
Daffyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve West - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 00:06

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 00:06
Hi Daffyd,
oil from knuckle usually means tube seal yes! first remove wheel, brakes, rotor & hub, brake sheild, stub axle, slide out axle CV and take a look where the knuckle meets the axle housing that should be where you will find the tube ( axle ) seal, Pry it out with a large srew drive but before u do that, stick your finger in and pull out the steel springy thing that's in the back of the seal if there is one there, it pays to check the suface of the axle where the seal runs fore wear. if there is a grove and it's on the large side iether replace axle or fit speedy sleave's which is what i have done . get em from bearing shop's and if you have to go that way make shore u put liquid metal, 2 part loctite product i prefer on worn surface first but ask the bearing bloke all about it and how to install, if you have to trim them down i use a realy sharp good wood chisel to slice any excess. best of luck.
Steve West
AnswerID: 117357

Follow Up By: Daffyd - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 07:08

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 07:08
Thanks Steve,

Never heard of those sleeve's but they sound excellent and could save a shed load of cash !

Have you actually done this job on a Patrol GQ cos I'm still confused as to why the manual says the seals at the hub end of the tube and the dealer parts diagrams says there at the diff end?

I'm wondering if there could be two different front axles used on the GQ?

Thanks again.
Daffyd

FollowupID: 372810

Reply By: Batboy - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:13

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 08:13
Hi I just had my axle seal done. The Axle had a grove worn around it and had to be replaced. The chaps said most of the time they just put the sleeve on as mentioned above but alas they don't make one for the GQ ( according to my mechanic ) Cost me $280 including short axle and CV sourced from wrecker

Jim
AnswerID: 117370

Reply By: awill4x4 - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:44

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:44
Sorry Daffyd, and I know it's off topic but. You wouldn't happen to watch "Little Britain" would you? Those devotee's of the show will know what I mean ;-)
Regards Andrew (an ex Taffy of since 1965)
AnswerID: 117502

Reply By: Steve West - Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:39

Wednesday, Jun 29, 2005 at 20:39
hi daffy, just got back on line in port augusta, no i have'nt done a gq but done both ends of my cruiser with out any probs. i got my speedy sleeves from northern bearings in somerton outer suburb of melbourne these sleeves are used excesivly in the trucking industry and have been around since shafts started to where out, any reputal bearing company should know about them. get a good micromiter and measure up or take the axle with you and let them do it .
Best of luck
regards Steve West 3 days to go then simpson desert here we come.
AnswerID: 118124

Follow Up By: Daffyd - Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:34

Monday, Jul 11, 2005 at 17:34
Thanks for the help guy's.

Job done.

my GQ's seals are at the hub end of the tube so I didn't need to pull the diff :-)

Bit of a groove in the shaft but shaved 2mm of the outside of the new seal so it's running on fresh steel again.

Rgds
Daffyd.

PS. Andrew - never watched it m8, bit to close to home I guess ;-)

FollowupID: 374877

Sponsored Links