Hilux 2.8D has anyone got one turboed ?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 00:14
ThreadID: 24164 Views:2545 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hilux 2.8D has anyone got one turboed ? asking for my cousin he's to lazy to use the internet (ball breaker). Anyway he's curios what sought of power he will get out of the 2.8 D once turboed? Turbo glyde Wollongong wants around 3.5k to fit is it worth the money for the results given. If anyone has one or knows of someone with one done, would appreciate hearing from you. could you give a power comparison if possible. thanks Babs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 16:43

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 16:43
I had mine done from South Coast 4WD at Wollongong a couple a years ago for $2600. for drive in drive out. After experience they benefit from a straight through 2.5 inch exhaust and I also put a cyclonic pre cleaner at the top of the snorkel. I used to put the slightest hint of oil in it to catch fine dust. Another good idea is (when you get the belt done) have the pump pulled off and stripped and cleaned and rest to factory specs plus 7% for the turbo. This puts all settings such as fuel advance etc up for the turbo and not just a fuel increase. (most fitters turn the fuel up 3/4 turn for the turbo and use existing settings.)
Now how does it go?
A hill I used to be in third gear revving it to over 3000 to not die past 70km/h I can now labour in fifth to do 90km/h or I can do it easy in fouth. The only reason I have to labour it in fifth is because I have to back off for a tight bend otherwise it would cruise on up. I was also holding my own on hills against an old massive jeep cherokee with chrysler 360 V8 and I not only had four people in the dual cab but the ute tray was chockers with camping gear and I had a 6x4 trailer on the back with more gear and two motor bikes. Once your motoring they are fantastic. You wont go any faster or accelerate any quicker but your torque and lack of die back will be very noticeable if set up right.
AnswerID: 117418

Follow Up By: Member - Scooby (WA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:59

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:59
Hi Howesy,
Were there any other issues, like overheating, clutch slip, etc. after fitting the turbo?
FollowupID: 373012

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 17:31

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 17:31
Got a DTS turbo in the shed ready to bolt on.Was advised to get the injectors done and check the valve clearances(shims) before bolting it on then after its on get it tuned with a EGT gauge to get everything set up spot on.
AnswerID: 117549

Reply By: philzer - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:33

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:33
I'd do it, I drive a 100 series petrol cruiser and my bro has the 2.8 TD hilux and I struggle to get away from him!!!! thats embaresing:(
AnswerID: 117701

Reply By: howesy - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:13

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:13
There wasn't any problems with overheating but I did invest in a heavy duty triple bypass radiator from Aussie Dessert Cooler for a little under
$500 (cheap insurance ). Also make sure all the hoses are renewed better safe than sorry. The only worry is if a hose goes then just a little water loss leaves the head dry very quickly and there goes the gasket. I am currently looking for a suitable expansion tank with water level alarm to mount so it is the highest point and therefore will save any worries of hoses as the alarm will get you shutting down the beast before the water gets down low enough to affect the head. Good theory I'll let you know how it goes.
ll in all do it you wont regret it. clutch is no prob but I also had a safari tuff heavy duty so can't speak for the standard item.
AnswerID: 117756

Sponsored Links