anyone have a foolproof damper recipe?

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:17
ThreadID: 24179 Views:28855 Replies:14 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Heading bush next weekend with 7 work mates, some of whom have very limited (in 1 case nil) camping experience. Will be swagging it so a "baptism of fire" for a few but I'm sure they will love it!

I was planning supplies etc and thought a damper might be a good experience for these "newcomers" to camping. The only problem is, I have never actually had one turn out successfully so it could be a little embarrasing!

I have a Bedourie Oven plus a cake rack that fits inside (to keep things off the bottom ..... I guess there's a technical name?) if that helps but I have generally made up the mix, wtrapped it in foil and buried it in the coals. As I said, never been really successful. Also tried the little balls wrapped on the end of a stick ... probably the most successful so far since at least edible but not overly impressive.

Has anyone got a foolproof method / recipe so I can impress the novices? (obviously I also fall into the novice category with regard to dampers!)

Thanks
Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 100 Series - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:30

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:30
all you need is self raising flour and 1 can/stubby of beer.

Mix this together and knead until moist. Pace in camper over for around 10-20mins depending on size of damper. Siz will be dependant on amount of flour and beer

Yum
AnswerID: 117450

Follow Up By: Casnat - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:42

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:42
Thanks 100 series,

my 1st thought is "sounds like a risk that a can of beer will be wasted". (LOL)

I did ask for advice however, so I will listen to it. How much flour would you mix with 1 can of beer (assuming no swigs from the cook along the way). As I said there will be 7 of us so what would you suggest in terms of quantities?

Will the Bedourie suffice? Do I need the thingoe (technical term) to keep the mix off the bottom?

Sorry to be a pain but have tried numerous times before and always ends up being (bad) firewood. A can of beer seems to be regularly suggested so probably a good start.

Hoping for the "never fails" recipe so I look like an expert in front of the "newbies"

Trevor
FollowupID: 372862

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 14:00

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 14:00
it has to be Coopers Pale Ale....anything else and it wont be fool proof
FollowupID: 372916

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:51

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:51
1 packet of scone mix and 1 can of lemonade ... a sweet damper but generally turns out well.

Mix together with sufficient lemonade to get the correct consistency and viola.

Add some sultanas if you wish. Lemonade adds the sugar and lift.

Cheers
AnswerID: 117452

Reply By: japmel - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:52

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 20:52
Trevor,
I use a scone receipe, I know it's not damper but I think it's much better.

I think you would be suprised at how many people don't actually like damper.

I know it didn't really answer your question but it is another option.

Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 117453

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:08

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:08
If you're going to use a "log" tin inside your camp oven sitting on the rack (so as to create an oven effect) this will work.

Self Raising Flour and a good pinch of salt into a bowl. Add water and mix with your hands, or a spatula, until it is "gloopy" (almost to a pouring consistency but not quite). Don't worry about lumps, they will cook out.

Oil your log tin and pour the mix in. Put the tin inside the oven on the cake rack and cover the oven with coals. Don't make it too hot or it will burn. Depending on the size of the damper you are cooking, check it after about 25 min to check the heat. Poking a fork into it will tell you, if it comes out clean from the middle it is done. If not, cook it some more.

Don't cut it immediately. Let it stand for anything up to 30 min out of the oven. This will ensure the cooking process continues and it is not stodgy.

The main problem people have with damper is making the mix too dry and it comes out stodgy. Water helps the rising process by creating steam in the mix (the Choux Pastry effect). If you have ever cooked cakes you will know that a nice light cake is made from a vert wet batter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 117459

Reply By: Member - Alan A (WA) - Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:34

Saturday, Jun 25, 2005 at 21:34
Hello All

Scone or pastry recipe is good basis .
Half a cup of self raising flour per person , and one third cup of fluid [water , milk , beer ] per cup of flour . Pinch or two of salt in flour , rub in table spoon of butter , add fluid while stiring , if required add a little more fluid to combine dry crumbs into damper . Shape by hand . Into hot camp oven for 20 minutes . Not many coals under oven , lots around and on top . To get fancy , glaze top with beaten egg or milk before cooking . Top with grated cheese and diced onion or flavour with dry herbs in the flour . With roast meat , remove cooked roast and cook damper in roast juices , with added coals .
AnswerID: 117463

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 00:22

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 00:22
Do an Aust. Google search. Heaps of other great ideas and pics.

Bon apertite.
AnswerID: 117485

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:12

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 09:12
I have to agree with some of the above, mixing the flour with either lemonade or beer seems to make it lighter. If you have a bottle of oil with you tip in a tablespoon (in the old days you would have rubbed in the butter). Dare I suggest you test at home in the oven a recipe to get the flour liquid ratio for the size you want to make sorted out and use the "trivett" when camping to save the bottom being burnt. If you wanted it for dessert use lemonade and a cup of mixed dried fruit or sultanas. I made the beer recipe that came with the Cobb and found it toasted really well the next day and the suggestion for that was you could add sliced olives or sundried tomatoes to make it more savoury. I have a packet of scone mix here that I havent tested yet and I am sure you would get a good result with one of these, but it looks a small quantity with one packet, you just add l small cup of milk to 375g of flour for a damper. Nothing beats the smell of hot damper or bread. I did a search for you:

4 cups of self-raising flour
a pinch of salt
50 grams of butter – melted
1 stubby of beer
1 bread tin

Method:

Preheat oven to 210C.
In a large bowl sift the self-raising flour and make a well. Into the well add the melted butter, beer and salt. Gently mix the batter and knead to smooth dough. Place dough into a pre greased and floured bread tin and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Reserve for later use and slice as required.

Serving Suggestion: This is excellent as a bruschetta (to put toppings on, for example, tomato relish, spinach and fetta cheese). It is also great to serve with dips – fresh out of the oven or toasted, and great as a crouton for hearty winter soups.

Here is a smaller one, as I said I would just put in some fresh oil rather than muck around cutting in the butter:

This bread made by bush settlers may be baked on the open fire or in a regular oven. As is typical of hand-me-down recipes, there are as many versions as there are bush babies. One recipe we read says to use beer instead of milk, then wrap the dough around a stick and cook over an open fire.

2 cups self-rising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk

Mix the flour, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk to make a soft dough. Knead lightly on floured board until smooth. Shape into round loaf, brush with milk, and bake in the coals of a burned down fire(no actual flames). for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the loaf makes a hollow sound when tapped. 'Alfoil ' or a camp oven can be used for cooking or simply place directly in the coals and clean well before eating.

Have fun, Carolyn

AnswerID: 117497

Reply By: Casnat - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:10

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 11:10
thanks for your help everyone

Trevor
AnswerID: 117515

Reply By: Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:52

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 12:52
Hi, All ofthe advice so far has been good advice. I use mixed herbs instead of leomade and sultanas (sweet). The slightly savory effect of the mixed herbs makes the scone (damper or whatever) a great addition to go with a stew etc. Its almost like having dumplings and is great for soaking up the gravy. Its also great to have on its own also.
AnswerID: 117525

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 16:16

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 16:16
Yes

all the best
Eric
AnswerID: 117538

Reply By: garthyguts - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:58

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:58
i just use a pack of bread mix from shop everything you need just add water.
used to cart all thing out camping much simple to open bag
AnswerID: 117575

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:53

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:53
Gday Trevor,
We have a Bedourie with a cake thingy in the bottom.
We use a packet scone mix, take some jam, knock up some whipped cream, fantastic.
We bought a small oven temp gauge, takes a bit off the fun and guessing away, but we have more success now.
Dean
AnswerID: 117688

Reply By: flappa - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:03

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:03
The one thing I have found that seems to work for me , is to allow the dough to rise , before cooking it

Cover the dough with a damp cloth for about 20 mins before cooking.

Made a big difference to my damper.
AnswerID: 117693

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:09

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 16:09
Haven't bothered with Damper since Bread Mix has been available.

Just mix the ingredients, knead for a while and place in a greased log tin.
Sit in a warm place (inside car is good) to allow time for dough to rise. The dough will just about double in size.

Place in heated camp oven, on a rack (Trivet) and cook for about 20 mins.
Stick a skewer, or knife in and if it comes out "dry" the bread is ready.

Bread cooked this way tastes much better than Damper and is far more versatile IMHO.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 117737

Sponsored Links