Joining two solar panels so they open book style

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2418 Views:3452 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
or rather like they do in the piranha advert. I am just keen about it as a space saving device - i know a one piece 80w unit is cheaper and simpler but i want to investigate this anyhow. So has anyone done it ? I am principally thinking of joining 2 BP SX 40W panels like this as they come with the mulitmount frames they make this appear to be simple. If it is in fact simple to bolt them together with hinges, do you just then rewire the positive from one into the positive from the other and the positive from that then goes out to wherever you want it to go - and is it as simple as that or do you join the wire onto the other panel's terminal rather than to its positive wire (do they have a terminal ?). Any comment or speculation appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Yes, it is as simple as that. The BP panels come with instructions.
No issue to put the hinges on. Make it so when the panels close, the close against some small rubber feet or felt pads. Don't require much.

Depending on what your use of these panels is and how much power you will be using from your batteries, you may need to add a regulator.
Personally, I would always have a regulator.
http://www.tasmanenergy.com.au/voltage_regulators.htm
or your local D*ck Smith Store Cat No. O3121
AnswerID: 8771

Reply By: paul - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
thanks oziexplorer, jsut what i wanted to know - i already use my steca 3 stage regulator (max 12 amps) on my the solar panel for another battery i just use for lights and music.

Your fridge stuff will go in the mail Friday.
AnswerID: 8781

Reply By: Stevo - Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:00
Paul, as OziExplorer says -"simple.
A couple of door hinges, a few of dobs of silicone on the mating surfaces, a couple of suitcase latches to keep them closed in transit, a suitcase handle to carry the panels and the finishing touch - a cut down telescopic tent pole bolted to the frame so as to allow it to swivel and be used as a leg when in use. My panels also have 20 metres of 30 amp hardwired cable which wraps around two pvc "hooks" siliconed to the back of one of the panels.
AnswerID: 8794

Sponsored Links