Gorges on the Connie Sue

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2419 Views:2162 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if they've been to the 3 gorges just south of Warburton on the Connie Sue Highway in WA - namely, MacKensie Gorge, Harkness Gorge, Waterfall Gorge? They lie within the Yapupurra Aboriginal reserve but appear to lie right beside the track by what I can see on the Hema GDT map I've got loaded on my computer. I'd love to know if anyone has located them, what condition they are in, what sort of "gorge" ie, how large etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PhilB - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Michelle
A group of us travelled the Connie Sue a few years ago. We only went to Waterfall Gorge. It is on the west side of the Connie Sue and a few KMS north of the Parallel Rd Turn off.
Whilst picturesque, it isn't a Karinjini type gorge much much smaller. It has a small rock arch. When we were there, a small pool of water was visble but it was green and slimy. Excellent camping spots are available on the eastern side of the gorge.
Desert Discovery Inc spent a few weeks in the area in 2000, they published a comprehensive report that covered history, geoleogy, biology etc etc of the area. From memeory it was called the Coopers Hill Project.
I could provide some more info such as contact email adresses but not thru the forum, I need to respect other peoples privacy, can I email you direct?
cheers
PhilB
AnswerID: 8935

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:00
Yes sure. My email is listed in the Contact Us page (under Home) as a link.
FollowupID: 4441

Reply By: Member - Greg - Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:00
Hi MIchelle
Can confirm Phils comments on waterfall - were there mid year. We missed the turn originally (was getting dark) so keep and eye on the GPS. There are a couple of truns to the right after leaving the Connie Sue and these lead to better sites that the straight on option. No wood so take your own.
GregC
AnswerID: 9120

Sponsored Links