New Prado TD ?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:08
ThreadID: 24197 Views:1955 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I remember reading a post recently where someone suggested that new TD engine used in the Hilux, may find its way into the Prado soon. I'm thinking of buying a new Prado TD and would like to know when this change may happen. Does anyone have any more details or is it just speculation at this stage ?

Thanks, Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:36

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 18:36
It can't be too far away Tim.

At the last model update a few months ago Toyota upgraded the transmissions on the petrol models adding an extra cog to both manual and auto variants. The diesel missed out and retained the 5 speed manual and 4 speed auto.
Reckon this is a big sign that they could not be bothered upgrading the trannies due to a short model life before introduction of the new engine. The Europeans have been driving a different diesel engine to us since the introduction of the 120 series shape I think. Australia once again has to wait to play catch-up. The big story from Toyota has been about fuel quality and sulpher levels in the diesel fuels in Australia. I belive the move to low sulpher fuel is now complete across the country so Toyota now have no excuse.

I bought mine 15 months ago and there was talk even then of the new engine on the horizon but I don't mind the solid reliability of the well sorted 1KZ-TE motor that has been around for many years.

If I was purchasing NOW then I think I would be hammering Toyota for info and would be waiting for the new engine which should have 25% more power and a tad more torque according to reports I have read. I also have a good friend who wants to trade his 90 series TD on a new one and he is going to wait. Depends how much of a hurry you are in.

Good luck with it. Prado is a great choice.

Muddy
AnswerID: 117566

Reply By: 80scruiser - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:59

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 20:59
Agree with Muddy.
I would have liked to wait for the new one but couldn't so I ordered one last week. My theory was even if it came out now I would most likely purchase a run out model so either way I was going to end up with the current one.
Will probably put a D Tronic on it at a later stage but will have to do me for at least 5 years. Maybe then they will have even a newer version out.
AnswerID: 117598

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:13

Sunday, Jun 26, 2005 at 21:13
Tim,

If you're looking for mid sized wagon with a good diesel motor, spend an hour and drive the Terracan CRDi.

It gets really good reports and is way cheaper then the Tojo.

I've had a petrol version for over a year and can't fault it. Other than needing a suspension upgrade.

Five year warranty is a comfort.

Just something to consider.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 117601

Reply By: RAGS AND DAGS - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:31

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 13:31
Problem is the Hilux is made in Thailand and the Prado in japan. All advice I have had has put it at the end of next year before a 5 speed and the new DI TD will be in the Prado.
AnswerID: 117699

Sponsored Links