ST Patrol 4.5 Petrol Performance

Submitted: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 242 Views:3278 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with poor performance with the automatic model of this vehicle. I find that in the city the acceleration of the vehicle from 60-100kms to be very bad. The motor is about 10000 kms old and has just had the 10K service. I would think that the 4.5Ltr petrol motor should perform better - Any Ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 22, 2001 at 00:00
I dont have any personal experience (my budget only stretched to a 3 litre petrol GQ) but I read an article in 4WD Monthly about supercharging the Patrols 4.5 litre petrol motor - they seemed to be of the opinion that in standard form is very sluggish, but was quite a performer after the surgery.
AnswerID: 518

Reply By: David - Wednesday, May 23, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 23, 2001 at 00:00
Hi....we have the automatic 4.5 TI Nissan Patrol and agree that it is fairly sluggish on the uptake!!! However you have to remember that this is a heavy duty "4WD" that weighs 2 tonnes and its not a sports car. You have to compare apples with apples. We are extremely happy with it and boy does she perform outstandingly well off-road, which is why we bought this car in the first place.
Ours has Coopers ST tyres, a snorkel, and we also have it on gas. We regularly go off road and she never lets us down!!! We are amazed!!! We have only done 20,000 kms. We are off to cape york next year to do the tough 4 wheel drive adventure trip. This car is so much fun.
AnswerID: 520

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, May 25, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, May 25, 2001 at 00:00
David, I must correct you on the weight figures, they weight 2.2 tonnes dry, + fuel, oils and then your accessories.
I tried them all and went for a 4.2 Turbodiesel, it was the best performer while keeping to an adecuate fuel economy.
Still is slugish on take off because they are "heavy", I drove a 100 series cruiser petrol recently and it was about the same.
FollowupID: 136

Reply By: Don - Sunday, May 27, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, May 27, 2001 at 00:00
We have one of these .... previous vehicle was a GQ Diesel ..... I dont think our GU petrol is sluggish .... with Cavalier off road camper in tow & fully loaded the Patrol is excellent for overtaking road trains etc .... do you run the auto in "power" mode or not ?
AnswerID: 543

Sponsored Links