AL-KO Independant Rubber Suspension

Submitted: Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:20
ThreadID: 24216 Views:3243 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anyone got the AL-KO Independant Rubber Suspension and if so do they use shocks with them what do they think of them both on road and off road thinking of useing them in a van off say 3t tandam axle
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ADM - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:43

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:43
I dont have the set up but a friend does. Seeing the suspension work in the Vic high country i wouldnt touch it. There is very littly flex in it and all it does is bounce, a shock wouldnt fix it. IMO you would be better of with a good set of leaf springs.
AnswerID: 117680

Reply By: govo - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:22

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 18:22
When i purchased a Dingo camper trailer in 1996 i was warned by "experts" that the alko suspension would sag and has very little travel, good for on road but not off road.Well after traveling over some very rough roads in 9 years i cannot fault alko suspenion.The camper has about 8 inches of travel and does not heat up after long klms on coragations.WE have had to stop numerous times to help out fellow travellers with broken springs and shocks when the fancy suspension they had could not handle the rough stuff.As for the sagging story..in 9 years it has sagged about 5mm which in my books is less then coil or leaf springs would.
On different occasions i have looked in the rear mirror when the 4wd is bouncing all over the place only to see the camper travelling like it was cruising down the M1.
AnswerID: 117761

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 19:04

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 19:04
Hi 10 Para,

I've got a camper-trailer with AL-KO suspension without shocks. No problems in about six years on and off-road (although nothing too extreme. Had the trailer in for work (nothing to do with the suspension) at a trailer company which normally does not deal with AL-KO suspensions and the chap there commented that the suspension was pretty good.

Regards,

Mark

AnswerID: 117769

Reply By: RobEG - Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:01

Monday, Jun 27, 2005 at 20:01
Mate I've got an 18 ft Cairns Custom Craft cat with twin black anchors on an offroad trailer made by a guy for going to Cape Melville etc. I've just come back from Limmen Bight River myself and it has duals with the independents, munro gas shocks and wait for it - rear coils of a 180B but u could use something else. It tows like a dream!!! Soft as. Guy on last trip says if he gets hurt take me out of the LC100 and put me in the boat for the medivac. And never breaks a spring unlike ALL my mates with leaf setups. Boat loaded - around 2t b4 drinks. Maker says bags and such get punctures off road.
AnswerID: 117778

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 00:24

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 00:24
I have this set-up on my camper trailer. I was a little concerned but the trailer (2nd hand) was good value. Anyhow, have now had it for 3 years with a few long trips under the belt, incl Perth-AliceSprings via GCR, Mereenie Loop Rd, etc. I have not had any problems. The trailer rides extremely well, no bounce (which was my concern) and no evidence of sag.

My only nagging concern is what happens if it fails in the middle of no-where as I think it would be very difficult to jury rig a quick fix. Previous posts suggest that reported failures linked to over rated axle loadings. So as long as you spec the correct AUW you'd likely be OK.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 117829

Reply By: Toby T - Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jun 28, 2005 at 20:39
Before I bought my current camper that has rebound leaf springs (Tambo) I heard stories about people waiting for parts in the middle of nowhere when they failed. Anyone can fix leaf springs - make sure you get offroad rated and rebound and you cannot go wrong

Toby
AnswerID: 117959

Sponsored Links